Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Having trouble with Star Wars: Rogue Leader II
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Shidouuu

For the love of god I cannot get this game working. I've tried changing audio settings, graphics api, enabling ubershaders, etc etc. No matter what I do it keeps stuttering and it's unplayable.

Specs:
FX-4350 @ 4.4 Ghz
GTX 660
Your CPU isn't close to fast enough to run it.

Shidouuu

Would overclocking more help? It's weird that a desktop CPU isn't powerful enough to run an old gamecube game.
It's not the clock-speed, it's the fact that the underlying architecture of the CPU (Piledriver) is really slow for programs that need high single-core performance, like Dolphin. You might be able to get away with playing games that aren't very demanding in Dolphin using the latest dev build of Dolphin, but the Star Wars: Rogue games are some of the most demanding games to emulate
Overclocking would help, but there's only so much you can do. The AMD FX CPUs had notoriously low single-threaded IPC (what Dolphin relies most for CPU performance) in comparison to other comparable Intel CPUs, or AMD's latest Ryzen CPUs. Dolphin has had a bunch of improvements so that FX CPUs do well for most games now, unlike during the Dolphin 4.0 era, but the most demanding title in Dolphin will still slow you down.

Read more about performance here -> https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#why-do...late-old-c

Basically, even though the GC is an "old" system, it takes a lot of resources to emulate. Doing one thing on the GC that may have only been one or two steps on the original hardware might translate into a hundred-plus steps on the host machine doing the emulation.

Shidouuu

I've overclocked it to 4.7 Ghz at 1.55v, and it seems to run rogue leader pretty well, but unfortunately rebel strike was unplayable. Also, I've noticed that Dolphin only allows you to use up to two cores, which makes me curious. What would happen if you were to use three or more cores? Would it be stable or unstable? On the cemu emulator, which is a wii u emulator, you can use up to three cores. I tried running mario kart 8 with only two cores, and it was unplayable. But with three cores, it was as smooth as if it was being played on the original console. If it runs as smooth on cemu, why can't it run just as smooth on Dolphin?
See here as to why: https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#couldn...-go-faster

The DSP core is only on another core when using LLE on separate thread, and is so small you don't see it as a load anyways, and HLE is better anyways.

Also the Wii U has 3 "CPU cores" which is why it can use three. Also it's a much different platform and can't be compared to the GC/Wii

Shidouuu

I see.