Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: macOS 10.15 Deprecating OpenGL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

eziur1

Apple has stated that they are deprecating OpenGL from update 10.15 onwards, and Metal will be used instead. Will Dolphin be developing a build that supports Metal, or is it just going to be unusable from then on? Sad
(06-10-2018, 09:43 PM)eziur1 Wrote: [ -> ]Apple has stated that they are deprecating OpenGL from update 10.15 onwards

Deprecate isn't the same as remove.
Besides, there are pull requests for Metal backends.
(06-10-2018, 11:16 PM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Deprecate isn't the same as remove.

Just means Apple probably won't fix any issues related to OpenGL if (or when) they start breaking stuff. They'll tell everyone to use Metal if OGL stops working later on due to their own changes. Aren't there already a number of workarounds for the OGL on OS X even when Apple "supported" the API? Doesn't seem very hopeful going forward.

But like Jack Frost said, a Metal backend for Dolphin is doable, especially with all the recent work that's been done (to VideoCommon, right?).
As we said on Dolphin's twitter, Apple has kind of already deprecated OpenGL on macOS by not updating it or fixing bugs in it for years. So not really a surprise, they just made it official.
(06-11-2018, 04:38 AM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]As we said on Dolphin's twitter, Apple has kind of already deprecated OpenGL on macOS by not updating it or fixing bugs in it for years. So not really a surprise, they just made it official.

And that is the point why everyone here on the forum is telling you to just install Windows on your mac book. Their GPU drivers are shit, and they are not willing to improve them. For at least 5 years now.
I love my MacBook Pro too much to run Windows on it. That's just cruel.

Spoiler:
(06-12-2018, 05:30 AM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]I love my MacBook Pro too much to run Windows on it. That's just cruel.

Spoiler:

This is exactly how I feel.
(06-12-2018, 05:30 AM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]I love my MacBook Pro too much to run Windows on it. That's just cruel.

I see your point. But you can also pick linux as well. Everything is better compared to OSX here.