Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: My antivirus found RANSOMWARE in a Dolphin update pack?!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know, strange.  Yesterday I booted up Dolphin and the automatic updater (I have it set to once a month) started downloading an update.  Upon installing, I got a pop up from my Antivirus saying that it had found RANSOMWARE IN the update files for Dolphin and (thank god my antivirus has this feature) automatically stopped it.  My files and everything are fine, it just spooked me.  How the heck did THAT get in there?!

The image pasting isn't working but here is a link to the report it gave me.
(06-09-2018, 12:13 AM)Robertium Wrote: [ -> ]I know, strange.  Yesterday I booted up Dolphin and the automatic updater (I have it set to once a month) started downloading an update.  Upon installing, I got a pop up from my Antivirus saying that it had found RANSOMWARE IN the update files for Dolphin and (thank god my antivirus has this feature) automatically stopped it.  My files and everything are fine, it just spooked me.  How the heck did THAT get in there?!

The image pasting isn't working but here is a link to the report it gave me.

Short answer: it's not. The updater has to update itself sometimes, and that probably looks like some kinda of malicious programs.
In other words, it's a false positive that you shouldn't worry about. It happens sometimes.
False positive. Lots of auto updaters read as malware to AV vendors. You can ignore it or turn off auto updates in Config.