Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: i5-3470 (4x3,2) + GTX 760 enough for GC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

i am very hyped with that emulation thing and i am going to buy used hardware on ebay.

I have just found an nice offer with an i5-3470 (4x3,2) + GTX 760 build. Do you think this is enough power to run the most demanding GC games like Soul Calibur 2?

Greetings
Siggy
How much are you looking to spend? You could probably build it yourself.
i want to stay as cheap as possible, but i also want a small form factor PC (mATX). Which makes i difficult to find in cheap and used.

this guy is selling only his CPU, GPU, MB & RAM. So this a kind of building it myself.

Do you think this setup can run all GC Games?
Some of the most CPU demanding GC titles might not always run at full speed. The Star Wars flying games come to mind.
ok. but is the system powerful enough for the rest of the games?
(06-08-2018, 06:34 PM)SiggySmilez Wrote: [ -> ]ok. but is the system powerful enough for the rest of the games?

No one knows exactly, there are over 660 different games made throughout the lifetime of the Gamecube, every game has it's own quirks and own emulation needs and thus the speed it runs on and the power needed to run the game depends on the game itself and the state of its emulation (e.g. if it uses the MMU it will be a lot slower than game without the need for MMU, same thing for games that need the Bounding Box to be emulated and so on)

That said, a lot of games should run quite nicely on this setup (and do not go over 3xIR (or 1080p) because the GPU probably doesn't like that), just keep in mind that the difference between a 3rd Gen Core series Intel and a 4th Gen is quite big when it comes to emulation, somehow these CPU's (Haswell and up) work a lot better than previous generations (Much better than what their IPC increase would suggest) and the difference between 4th gen and 5th gen and up is again minimal.
I used a laptop with somewhat similiar specs (i7-3610MQ 3.2GHz and GTX 660M). I was able to run a lot of games quite smoothly. I doh’t own any of the super demanding titles, but I was able to run games like twilight princess full speed. The GPU won’t be able to cope with ubershaders very well, which is unfortunate because shader stutter was frequent. But honestly I wouldn’t be terrible worried. That being said, make sure you are getting a good price for these parts. It’s entirely possible the cheap price you are being offered could high enough to afford better components.
Well, I have NFS U2 and MW games here, they are very demanding to run at 60 FPS, (you can't run constant 60 FPS if you don't overclock the emulator's CPU). Using 150% clock the both games run fine.

In this part I took the screenshot the game generally runs arrouns 30 FPS with 100% clock, with 150% it runs arround 55-60 FPS.

https://ibb.co/fV8fJT
Thanks a lot guys!
I will look for cheap hardware know. A 4th Gen i5 with "K" might be the better choise here...
Its very hard to find good offers. i have seen a guy selling an used gtx 1070 for 450€, but a new 1070 starts at 430€ lol
The 760 you have is "good enough" if you don't need\want higher internal resolutions (well you can do a little and still be fine with a 760 just don't try 4k with high def packs and the like). For a used 4690K (so 4th+ gen) you are looking generally around $100 USD. You could get a more modern platform (like skylake or kabylake) using one of the pentiums from that generation and unless you overclock get close to the same performance for around the same prices. You would also have an upgrade path if you wanted it. You might want to look at a G4500\G4520\G4560\G4600\G4620 and see what the market is like in your area for any of these processors.
Pages: 1 2