Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: fixing the internal resolution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

jigglygamer33

2x Native 720p (1280x720)
3x Native 1080p (1920x1080)
4x Native 1440p (2560x1440)
5x Native 4K (4096x2160)
6x Native 5K (doesn't exist)
I don't understand what you're trying to say by this... The resolution numbers you've written down here aren't correct. Each internal resolution that Dolphin supports is 640x528 multiplied by an integer.
(06-05-2018, 03:11 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand what you're trying to say by this... The resolution numbers you've written down here aren't correct. Each internal resolution that Dolphin supports is 640x528 multiplied by an integer.

And to explain further: 640x528 is 1x resolution of the Gamecube/Wii thus 2xIR is 2*(640x528)=1280x1036 (and so on) and the "fractional" multiplications have been removed recently.

Q: Then why do you say its 720p?
A: Because it is the closest full number multiplication that we can do to make it as close as 1280x720p as we can

Q: But why don't you do the first (horizontal) resolution x2 and the second (vertical resolution) x1.36?
A: Because that breaks basically all games.

Q: Why don't you make it so we can select our own resolution, I don't care if a game breaks? 
A: Because other people DO care that their game breaks when they set a resolution which is not a full multiplication of 1x Native and they flood the forums with questions and bug reports but do not tell us that they set a custom resolution, thus making troubleshooting a P.I.T.A.

Q: But why does PCSX2 support it without any problems?
A: First of all there are also a lot of problems with PCSX2 and custom resolutions, you only have to Google and secondly a Playstation 2 is not a Gamecube/Wii and thus use their hardware completely differently.

Any more questions?
(06-05-2018, 10:38 PM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]Q: But why don't you do the first (horizontal) resolution x2 and the second (vertical resolution) x1.36?
A: Because that breaks basically all games.

Not all games, but a lot more games than we would like.
Love it when newcomers think they're so smart.
I might add that PCSX2 by default uses the same system for IR as Dolphin. Like a lot of emulators.
?

They had no idea why we labeled it the way we did. If anything, the fact that they didn't know this is a failure in our UI design. Not theirs.
(06-06-2018, 09:05 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]?

They had no idea why we labeled it the way we did. If anything, the fact that they didn't know this is a failure in our UI design. Not theirs.

I don't see how the UI is a failure on this. Just by looking at the menu closely for more than 10 seconds should make people understand.

The "Auto (Multiple of 640x528)" line should give the first clue, and just looking at the third line "2x Native (1280x1056) for 720p" should trigger the light bulb.

But you have to know how to multiply by 2:
640 x 2 = 1280
1280 x 2 = 2560
and so on...
(06-06-2018, 09:05 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]?

It is absolutely true that this is a failure in UX, but I also don't see a way to make this clearer without messing up the UI.

Shadorino Wrote:I might add that PCSX2 by default uses the same system for IR as Dolphin. Like a lot of emulators.

But they do allow for custom resolution though. And the worst thing it messes up is graphics/textures and so on not aligning correctly (as far as I could see) but for Dolphin (gamecube/wii) it actually can mess up gameplay.