Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin suddenly running below 100%
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

slemmuh

I've been playing the 20XX ISO for a some time now on Dolphin 5.0 for Ubuntu with no problems up until this week when it throttles to 80% and that's as fast as it will run. I don't know what key I pressed or what I did, but I know it's a Dolphin issue because other games run at exactly 80% too. I'm guessing I limited or lowered the FPS somehow, but I can't find anything on the settings. I reinstalled and even built Dolphin from scratch myself to no avail.

Other than that I only have a single other explanation as to why it's suddenly running slow. It's been extremely hot recently, and I've been carrying my computer in around at campus while it was 40°C+ (105°F+) outside. I recall my laptop being really warm one of those days. Maybe the thermal paste wore off and it's making the CPU run slower? I don't have trouble with any other program, though. Other than that I have no clue.

Specs (although it already ran at 100% like I mentioned):
Operating System: Ubuntu 16.04
Processor/CPU: Intel Core i5 5500U
Video Card/GPU: Intel Graphics 5500
Memory/RAM: 8GB
Dolphin Revision Currently Using: 5.0
Found the problem with your computer specs

Quote:Gender: Male

Just change your computer's gender to female or other (personally, I find zombie works best) /s

On a more serious note, this could be thermal throttling. Ultra Low Voltage CPUs (like Intel CPUs that have the -U letter in their model name) don't tend to run very hot since they have low TDP and tight restrictions on thermal activity. It's possible some of the thermal paste was worn away, but I find that doubtful, as most ULV CPUs reduce their clock to get specific internal temperatures. I'd try looking at what frequency your CPU cores are running at whenever you run Dolphin. If they're staying around the lower end, may very well be some thermal throttling going on.

slemmuh

Heh, I shouldn't have copied and pasted without checking first.

I've been thinking about it more and wouldn't the thermal paste theory make more sense if it gradually started going below 100% once the CPU started overheating instead of starting off at 80% by default? I also wonder why it stops at 80%.

Are there any hotkeys or shortcuts that could limit or slowdown FPS? This is seriously weird.
(06-04-2018, 10:30 AM)slemmuh Wrote: [ -> ]Heh, I shouldn't have copied and pasted without checking first.

I've been thinking about it more and wouldn't the thermal paste theory make more sense if it gradually started going below 100% once the CPU started overheating instead of starting off at 80% by default? I also wonder why it stops at 80%.

Are there any hotkeys or shortcuts that could limit or slowdown FPS? This is seriously weird.

1. Were you playing with the power adapter connected?
2. You might have to change the windows power settings to High performance.

slemmuh

(06-04-2018, 04:20 PM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]1. Were you playing with the power adapter connected?
2. You might have to change the windows power settings to High performance.

Hi.

1. Yes
2. I'm not using Windows
(06-05-2018, 12:14 AM)slemmuh Wrote: [ -> ]Hi.

1. Yes
2. I'm not using Windows

Missed the Linux, sorry Tongue

What are the thermals for your GPU and CPU when playing a game in Dolphin?

slemmuh

I've finally solved it! I don't how it happened or why it wasn't taking in my configuration from the popup window, but "Frame Skip" somehow went to 0. Once I set it to 2 from Linux's menu it started running at 100% again.
What's "Frame Skip" for, by the way?

Thanks for your time everyone.
Wait, didn't we remove the Frame Skip option? If you're using an old version of Dolphin, updating to the latest one sometimes helps, though I can't guarantee anything.
(06-07-2018, 05:01 PM)Kurausukun Wrote: [ -> ]Wait, didn't we remove the Frame Skip option? If you're using an old version of Dolphin, updating to the latest one sometimes helps, though I can't guarantee anything.

A very very long time ago, yup... then came the emulation speed from 0-unlimited %
(06-07-2018, 09:50 PM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]A very very long time ago, yup... then came the emulation speed from 0-unlimited %

No. The change from frame limit to speed limit happened before 5.0 and the removal of frame skipping happened after 5.0.
Pages: 1 2