Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: So now that Switch has been hacked at the hardware level…
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I’m just wondering what the chances are for a Dolphin conversion for the Nintendo Switch!

Surely the holy grail of emulator development would be to emulate Nintendo games on a different Nintendo console (imagine if GameCube could be hacked to run Wii games) well in andvance of Nintendo themselves, in spite of early reports that GameCube games would be made available for Switch via Virtual Console.

Well, now that any hopes of GameCube being featured on VC on Switch have been well and truly nipped in the bud by Nintendo themselves, it looks like there’s a huge gap in the market for retro-hungry Nintendo fans. I feel like this would be a great thing to attempt for a few reasons:

- It looks like Switch has enough grunt to run an emulator from a few generations ago

- There is already an Android version of Dolphin, so why not a Switch version?

- Dolphin already runs on nVidia Shield, which is both an Android device and the basis for the Switch in the first place

- Switch is one single hardware architecture, and aside from any major revisions at the silicone level, it would be simple to maintain for all devices;

- Native hardware support for all Switch peripherals, including JoyCon (for waggle support)

- Large potential user base

- Infinite fame and fortune

I would love for this to happen, and I’d even buy a second console to use as my hack machine so that I don’t risk my 150+ hour Breath of the Wild game save. Please make it so.
Switch doesn't have the power to emulate GC even with official nintendo emulator which is why there are not on VC
We have not seen any evidence of an official Nintendo emulator, so we can’t know what it may be capable of. The lack of GameCube VC is likely more a business decision than it is a technical one.

By contrast, in only two days we saw Dolphin running within Linux on Switch with games hitting 66% of their native frame rate.

I’m talking about a native Tegra version with full development effort. Imagine the possibilities.
(05-29-2018, 09:05 PM)swmas Wrote: [ -> ]Switch doesn't have the power to emulate GC even with official nintendo emulator which is why there are not on VC

This is not fully true, since the Shield X1 is perfectly capable of emulating a lot of less demanding games the Switch should be able to do the exact same and maybe even better since the OS being used on the Switch is far more barebone than Android on the Shield thus less resources used.
It's not worth even trying to port over imo, booting and playing a few less demanding games just cause, is wasted effort. I'm sure even if some game does boot up and is playable it won't last an hour in portable mode so it will have to stay docked to play so might as well use a PC or even a wii.
Dolphin already runs on the Switch. Haven't you guys been keeping up with twitter?
(05-29-2018, 11:28 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin already runs on the Switch. Haven't you guys been keeping up with twitter?

(05-29-2018, 09:35 PM)Rare White Ape Wrote: [ -> ]By contrast, in only two days we saw Dolphin running within Linux on Switch with games hitting 66% of their native frame rate.

I’m talking about a native Tegra version with full development effort. Imagine the possibilities.

Only reason I'm posting this is because I almost said the same thing because I didn't notice at first.
(05-29-2018, 09:43 PM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]This is not fully true, since the Shield X1 is perfectly capable of emulating a lot of less demanding games the Switch should be able to do the exact same and maybe even better since the OS being used on the Switch is far more barebone than Android on the Shield thus less resources used.

At half the clock speed.
Switch... Is a joke for many people like me.. ( The Apple of consoles )
Overrated console with some good exclusive games Like Xenoblade Chronicle 2.

I understand why people seeking Emulators for nSwitch, you pay so much for so less.. : )
Yes nSwitch have really bad hardware for the original price cost..

Perfect capable emulation is far beyond..