Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What are memory GCI files?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there guys. So I after moving my Dolphin setup from one computer to another I was getting an error message from the emulator about not being able to read the memory card. This was a minor problem that I fixed simply by pointing to the new location of the .raw file.

After that however I then decided to use the GCI option. This turned out to be an even better option and all my save files from the .raw file where moved into the USA folder. This was really cool but how did it do that? How did the emulator know what files to keep without overriding the wrong thing?
It automatically exports your current memory card to GCI folder when you first select the option.

After that, you can use the memory card manager to manually export/import GCIs.

GCIs are just raw savefiles - when in those folders, Dolphin constructs a memory card with them as the game is booting. It's a way to bypass the limitations of normal memory cards and let you have as many saves as you want.
(05-25-2018, 05:46 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]It automatically exports your current memory card to GCI folder when you first select the option.

After that, you can use the memory card manager to manually export/import GCIs.

GCIs are just raw savefiles - when in those folders, Dolphin constructs a memory card with them as the game is booting.  It's a way to bypass the limitations of normal memory cards and let you have as many saves as you want.

Well that's just awesome. So it only does this once. So I won't have to worry about overriding my GCI folder once this is done?