Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dell G7 15
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

JPlayzX01

Hello, I'm planning on buying the Dell G7 15 soon to replace my slow Lenovo IdeaPad 320-15ABR, and I was wondering what kind of performance I could get out of it.

The model I'm planning to buy has these specs as follows:
i7-8750H (6 core w/ hyperthreading/up to 3.9GHz) (I need the extra cores for video-editing/streaming)
GTX 1060 w/ Max-Q design
256 GB M.2 NVMe SSD (can add an additional 2.5 inch drive)
8 GB RAM (2x4GB)
54 WHr Battery (I'll be gaming and editing while plugged in)

Now I plan to play titles such as Mario Kart Wii, Wii Sports Resort, We Ski and Snowboard at max settings (most notably disabling the EFB and XFB options, as We Ski and Snowboard relies on those for photos)
at at least 1080p 60 FPS with Ubershaders (If I could achieve 4k then that'd be nice as well).
That's likely overkill for dolphin, I wouldn't worry about that.

But for video editing and streaming - unless the thermal solution for that is *excellent* (Read: Large, loud, expensive), it'll likely throttle. Unless you *need* the portability of a laptop, it'll always be a poor choice compared to a desktop of similar top-line specs, and waaayyyy more expensive at that.

If you'll only be gaming and editing while plugged in, it may actually be cheaper to buy 2 computers, a desktop for the heavyweight stuff, and a small/light laptop for actual portability.

And as someone who has spent a lot of time hunched over a laptop trying to do actual work, I can say your future back will love you to get a proper workstation setup - that likely means at least a keyboard and external monitor - which again just means you're using it as a overpriced desktop most of the time.

JPlayzX01

(05-25-2018, 10:03 AM)JonnyH Wrote: [ -> ]That's likely overkill for dolphin, I wouldn't worry about that.

But for video editing and streaming - unless the thermal solution for that is *excellent* (Read: Large, loud, expensive), it'll likely throttle. Unless you *need* the portability of a laptop, it'll always be a poor choice compared to a desktop of similar top-line specs, and waaayyyy more expensive at that.

If you'll only be gaming and editing while plugged in, it may actually be cheaper to buy 2 computers, a desktop for the heavyweight stuff, and a small/light laptop for actual portability.

And as someone who has spent a lot of time hunched over a laptop trying to do actual work, I can say your future back will love you to get a proper workstation setup - that likely means at least a keyboard and external monitor - which again just means you're using it as a overpriced desktop most of the time.
Oh don't worry, it doesn't throttle at all.
Regarding the 2 pc setup, I plan on gaming and editing while on the go while on trips and at school and things like that. Plus I'm going to be moving the laptop around my house a lot from my desk to my TV downstairs to use as makeshift console (or an HD Wii in this case) in my spare time, and I'm not going to bother with the hassle of carrying an entire desktop downstairs just to carry it back up again 4 hours later.

Regarding weight, it actually weighs about on par with my current lenovo laptop, and that feels just fine in my backpack.

Anyway, could I handle 4K with this laptop's graphics card? With ubershaders? Is a 1060 Max-Q enough for that? As far as I'm aware 1060 Max-Q sits somewhere between a normal 1060 and a 1050 Ti, and the latter I've heard can struggle at 4k.
The 8750H will 100% throttle during render tasks using all 6 cores. The 1060 Max-Q is where a lot of the breathing room will be found. For dolphin no problems but video rendering is definitely going to see some limits.
IF you really want a gaming laptop, go to xoticpc.com and check out their options, as they allow you to customize every single part of your laptop.
In the same spec/price range as that Dell G7 is this Sager NP7851 http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np7851-clevo-n857ep6.html
It has a dual heat sink system, meaning the CPU/GPU have separate heat pipes and blowers, to help prevent thermal throttling. It also has a better monitor and you c an choose how much RAM/storage you want piece by piece.