Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Coffee Lake TDP vs Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I’ve been reading a lot of hardware reviews online that suggest that Coffee Lake can be quite a bit more challenging for thermals in various smaller form factor PC’s, especially in comparison to kaby lake. Howeve, what I haven’t seen is a good comparison of how coffee lake fares against kaby lake in a 2 or 4 core workload. The reason I ask is of course dolphin. Since only 1-2 cores are used by dolphin, does coffee lake actually prove to be a challenge?

TLBig GrinR i’m buying a thick as all hell gaming laptop and I’ve read the 8750H blows out the TDP in 6 core workloads on even the biggest ones vs kaby lake which could actually run near full tilt without much issue in the models i’m investigating. But considering dolphin is realistically my biggest concern for single core workloads, i’m hopeful that a lower core workload will fare better.

PS. No i’m not interested in a desktop, yes i’m aware laptops cannot defy the laws of thermodynamics, i’m just curious if coffee lake is actually more taxing all around or just in full multi-core.