Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Decent Wii Games That work Well with Keyboard/gc/classic controller
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I mainly use dolphin as a gc emulator aside from 1-2 wii games I have and I am aware of the ''list of Wii games that use a classic controller scheme'' in wikipedia. I already have some of those games that work natively with a gc controller or a classic controller.
What I am asking is , what are some other games I can find that does not natively support gc/classic controller but still works well enough
with a mixture of gc/classic controller + keyboard/mouse

so basically I need advice on setting up an emulated wiimote and for which games it is worth trying
(05-24-2018, 07:04 PM)iNeedAnswers Wrote: [ -> ]I mainly use dolphin as a gc emulator aside from 1-2 wii games I have and I am aware of the ''list of Wii games that use a classic controller scheme'' in wikipedia. I already have some of those games that work natively with a gc controller or a classic controller.
What I am asking is , what are some other games I can find that does not natively support gc/classic controller but still works well enough
with a mixture of gc/classic controller + keyboard/mouse

so basically I need advice on setting up an emulated wiimote and for which games it is worth trying

There are a lot of games that only need the Wiimote without attachments which are usually easily set up and there are games that use a Sideways Wiimote (those usually also support either GC or classic controls except for the few that need motion controls like shaking or tilting).
(05-24-2018, 07:44 PM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]There are a lot of games that only need the Wiimote without attachments which are usually easily set up and there are games that use a Sideways Wiimote (those usually also support either GC or classic controls except for the few that need motion controls like shaking or tilting).

I am sure they exist but I can not buy/try/dump/sift through 1000+ games that's why I wanted some names ( + the optimal way of mapping them ) to try out. ( ie I recently got speed racer coz I like the cartoons and heard it was like f-zero but haven't tried due to lack of time , also I thought since it's a racing game it might be easy to just map it on a regular gamepad or gc pad )
If you're asking for Wii games that use the WiiMote but which are not too complex in their Motion Controls.

Try the Super Mario Galaxy games, which are a perfect suit for the Keyboard + Mouse combo. In fact, I do recommend you play both games with the Keyboard + Mouse combo rather than the traditional WiiMote + Nunchuk combo. The controls never felt better for those games. Normally you use the WiiMote pointer to collect star bits and point at other stuff but you can just use to mouse instead to point at stuff (which in fact is more accurate and faster than pointing with the WiiMote). You can bind the Shake-effect (for the spin attack) of the WiiMote to a button. The controls are quite simple. All you need is run, jump, spin and shooting, shooting star bits, pointing at stuff and a button to access the menu. It only get slightly more complex with the stages where you need to go Ray Surfing, Bird Gliding or Rolling on top of a Star Ball (luckely, there are not really mandatory for the most part to complete the game and there aren't that many of those stages). You might to adjust to control scheme for those stages for a while.

Another suggestion would be Donkey Kong Country Returns which works wonderful with a controller. The WiiMote is only used to shake for a pounce attack, just bind that to a button, no other motion stuff required. The game could just as well have been made for the Classic Controller... I don't know why.

You might try New Super Mario Bros. Wii as well, which is a similar case to Donkey Kong Country Returns. It only use Motion controls to tilt bars to walk on to a higher or lower height. You need to tilt you WiiMote to do so, but you can bind the tilting to your controller as well, the controls are not too complex.

If you prefer a classic controller layout, you should use the GameCube version of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess rather than the Wii version. You can use an AR code to achieve the same 16:9 display format.

Two more suggestions where Motion Controls are relative simple to rebind to a controller: Super Paper Mario and Wario Land: Shake It!

Hopefully that helps?

Sofielund

I have only played the first part yet, but the Metroid Prime trilogy seems to be very playable with keyboard and mouse mapped like standard WASD controls.