Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can my Surface Book 2 run dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Demsville

Would love to run dolphin and have messed around with multiple configurations but still get occasional lag and issues maintaining a steady frame rate. I have a Surface Book 2 13.5" and any help regarding whether I can run dolphin and what settings I would need it on would be greatly appreciated. My specs are as follows;

Running Windows 10 Pro
Intel Core i7 8650U CPU @ 1,90GHz 2.11GH
8 GB RAM quad-core processor, 4.2GHz Max Turbo
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 discrete GPU w/6GB GDDR5 graphics memory
Resolution: 3000 x 2000 (267 PPI)

Thanks in advance
Did you enable High Performance mode in Windows? Also, do it in NVidia Control Panel.

One more thing: 7000+ fixes have been merged since 5.0. You should try latest dev build instead. You can find it on top of the Download section.

Demsville

Yeah I tried it in high performance mode on both and I initially ran it on the latest dev build but couldnt get it to a solid frame rate where there wasn't stutters, frame rate drops and weird crackly sound issues with slowdown. This was me running it on the default settings, all though I have experimented and still can't seem to find anything that works for me.
What are your settings (in latest dev)? What games you´re trying to run?
(05-24-2018, 07:47 AM)Demsville Wrote: [ -> ]Would love to run dolphin and have messed around with multiple configurations but still get occasional lag and issues maintaining a steady frame rate. I have a Surface Book 2 13.5" and any help regarding whether I can run dolphin and what settings I would need it on would be greatly appreciated. My specs are as follows;

Running Windows 10 Pro
Intel Core i7 8650U CPU @ 1,90GHz  2.11GH
8 GB RAM quad-core processor, 4.2GHz Max Turbo
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 discrete GPU w/6GB GDDR5 graphics memory
Resolution: 3000 x 2000 (267 PPI)

Thanks in advance

I had written a nice post describing what to do, but um... yeah... I'm at work and I accidentally closed the whole tab... So here we go again Smile

There are 2 things you really have to keep in mind:
1. That configuration of Surface Book 2 does not exist, according to Microsoft. So you either have the 15" version OR you have a GTX1050 2GB. (https://www.microsoft.com/EN-us/surface/...figuration)
2. The CPU is an Ultra Low Power one and not made for high-end emulation or sustained performance, it is made to last long while running on a battery and/or stay cool in a small case.

That said, before you start make the following changes to your system:
1. Make sure your Windows is fully up to date. (No more updates available in Windows Update)
2. Download and install the latest drivers from the nVidia site. (https://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/3...l-whql.exe as of 24 May 2018)
3. Download the latest Dolphin development version from the top of the download page, extract it to a new and clean folder and create an empty portable.txt in the same place as Dolphin.exe.
(This will put Dolphin in portable mode and makes a clean configuration inside the Dolphin User folder instead of inside of My Documents\Dolphin Emulator this also means any savegames you had will be (temporarily) unavailable and put Dolphin back into Factory Settings)
4. Set your Windows Power options to High Performance.
5. In nVidia Control Panel create a profile for Dolphin set it up to Prefer the usage of your nVidia GPU, Prefer High Performance for the power option and select Single Display mode.
6. In Geforce Experience disable Shadowplay and Battery Boost.
7. Close ALL applications: not a single Browser, musicplayer, videoplayer or Streaming/recording app open. Not even Rivatuner or whatever you use to measure your FPS externally.

Start Dolphin, don't change anything except for:
1. Shader Compilation > Synchronous ---> This will introduce some shaderstutter but that will go away the more you play that specific game.
2. Compile Shaders at Start-up > Ticked ---> This will make starting your game take a bit longer, but will be faster for slower systems
3. Graphics Back-end > OpenGL ---> This is faster on nVidia cards.
4. Internal Resolution (IR) > 1x
5. Anti-Aliassing (AA) > 1x
6. Anisotropic Filtering (AF) > 1x
7. Sound Back-end > HLE + CubeB
8. Controller settings
9. Rom/NAND/Save paths

Now check if your game runs at 100% if not > Your computer is too slow or is throttling down because it gets too hot. There is nothing that we can do about it without breaking the game (see bottom paragraph)

If it does run at 100% take the following steps one by one, testing in between, to get the highest quality settings for YOUR system and THIS SPECIFIC game:
1. Change Shader Compilation to Asynchronous (Ubershaders) and change the video back-end to Direct3D11 > To eliminate shader compilation stuttering.
2. Increase the IR 1 step at a time, testing if the game still runs 100% in between. Do not go higher than your maximum native resolution (I guess 6xIR)
3. Increase the AF 1 step at a time, testing if the game still runs 100% in between.
4. Increase the AA 1 step at a time, testing if the game still runs 100% in between.

As soon as any of the increases have a slowdown, go back 1 step and move on to the next setting.
If you have found the best settings you can (if you wish) delete the portable.txt and move over the contents of your Dolphin\User folder to My Documents

Finally if nothing helps: There are some settings you can make that will have adverse effects on emulation accuracy and that can lead to: Crashes, Freezes, Graphical glitches, very strange behavior or uncompletable games.
If you decide to go down this road, please mention that you did that and expect us to request to turn these settings back to default if there are issues with your game.
1. Underclock the Emulated CPU, go down in steps of 5MHz, until you reach a playable state.
2. Change the game .ini files to turn off the emulation of some very needed functions.

SvenDaHacker64

I have a same PC as yours (mine is i5-7300U dual core and Intel HD Graphics 620), it runs smooth on Mario Kart Wii and most GameCube games. 
If your games are slow, try Ishiiruka. Once you got that, go to Graphics settings, on General section, pick Direct3D 11 or 12, on Enhancements section (the first one) increase the internal resolution if your PC can handle it (I can go for 1.5x or 720p), set Ubershaders to Hybrid to stop the stutters, on Hacks section, turn on "Fast EFB Access", on Advanced, make sure compiling shaders at startup is on. You're good to go.
(06-04-2018, 12:44 AM)SvenDaHacker64 Wrote: [ -> ]I have a same PC as yours (mine is i5-7300U dual core and Intel HD Graphics 620), it runs smooth on Mario Kart Wii and most GameCube games. 
If your games are slow, try Ishiiruka. Once you got that, go to Graphics settings, on General section, pick Direct3D 11 or 12, on Enhancements section (the first one) increase the internal resolution if your PC can handle it (I can go for 1.5x or 720p), set Ubershaders to Hybrid to stop the stutters, on Hacks section, turn on "Fast EFB Access", on Advanced, make sure compiling shaders at startup is on. You're good to go.

Not relevant, completely different system, different CPU, different GPU and probably different form-factor as well (Surface 2 is basically a Tablet) also please refrain from advising an unofficial build when it is not needed at all.

What you do have to keep in mind is that 1.5x (the so called fractional IR) breaks A LOT of games and this is the reason why it has been removed from the master-branch of Dolphin.