Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can't change emulated Wiimote input to gamepad
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

forine

I recently started Mario Galaxy using keyboard and mouse but realised it'd probably be easier to use my Xbox one controller instead. I was going to change the input type to gamepad but when I press default in the reset section it just uses default keyboard inputs and refreshing changes the input method from gamepad back to keyboard and mouse. To clarify: I can change the input method to gamepad as it's what I use for GCN games but when I try to use it for an emulated Wiimote, I can select the gamepad and then enter the inputs but pressing default or refresh it goes back to keyboard and mouse. I wanted to use the default gamepad inputs as I can't get the motion controls to work when using the right analogue as the cursor.
There is no default mapping for gamepads.
(05-24-2018, 12:39 AM)forine Wrote: [ -> ]I recently started Mario Galaxy using keyboard and mouse but realised it'd probably be easier to use my Xbox one controller instead. I was going to change the input type to gamepad but when I press default in the reset section it just uses default keyboard inputs and refreshing changes the input method from gamepad back to keyboard and mouse. To clarify: I can change the input method to gamepad as it's what I use for GCN games but when I try to use it for an emulated Wiimote, I can select the gamepad and then enter the inputs but pressing default or refresh it goes back to keyboard and mouse. I wanted to use the default gamepad inputs as I can't get the motion controls to work when using the right analogue as the cursor.

It would be "Imposssible" to have a default GC gamepad mapping, even more so for Wiimotes. First of all, if you are using a Dinput gamepad it all depends on the gamepad what buttons report their "scancode" (or whatever it is called for a gamepad) as.

I have a few of them and for example on one of my older pads it reports the "start" button as Button 0, but on another one the button gets reported as Button 5. Then there are the "special" gamepads that have less buttons than needed. and so on. Xbox controllers though report as Xinput and do have a "standardized" layout, but the default layout for Dolphin will have to keep both options in mind. Thus it is decided not to use a default mapping at all, even for GC pads.

Then there is the Wiimote... which is a very modular controller with very "strange" inputs (for a computer) and makes use of an IR pointer (4axis), accellerometer (4axis), a D-pad, 6 buttons (AB12+-). On top of that you can add a few extra things, for your example in SMG/SMG2 it would be a nunchuck, which has analog thumbstick (2axis), accelerometer (3?axis) and 2 buttons (CZ). 

Your xinput device will have: 10 buttons (ABXY,L1R1,L3R3,Start,Back), 2 thumbsticks (4axis), D-pad and a left and right trigger (1?axis, because it can be up and down at the same time but gets reported as the same axis IIRC)
as you can see you have a lot more analog axis to configure on your Wiimote and every game uses the axis differently, making it impossible to have a default mapping.