Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: memory card issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I had decided today to clean up my documents folder. I moved all my roms into a specified rom folder, and all my emulators into a specified emulator folder. Of course I had to change all the directories for all the roms, but all the banners in my games had disappeared, which happened to me when I didn't have a save file for the game. When I tried to look at why that happened, on each rom I opened, it said that the save files were corrupted. I had put countless hours into these games, including 100% completion on Super Mario Sunshine, Madagascar, and Scooby-Doo: A Night of 100 Frights. I don't have any captures from before the move, but I can provide some from after the move if needed. Is there any way to restore the save files or the memory card?
Where's the memcard file located? Have you tried loading the memcard into the memory card manager (in the tools menu) to see if the saves still appear there?
(05-23-2018, 09:09 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Where's the memcard file located?  Have you tried loading the memcard into the memory card manager (in the tools menu) to see if the saves still appear there?

Since they are all GC games mentioned... They should always show the banner.

If you deleted the Wii folder in My Documents\Dolphin Emulator (or the whole Dolphin Emulator folder), then you also deleted the save files for your Wii Games... which also causes the banners for those games to disappear.
And if you deleted the GC folder inside My Documents\Dolphin Emulator (or the whole Dolphin Emulator folder), then you have also deleted the Memory Cards for your GC games (If I'm not mistaken, that should be the default location where they are saved)
(05-23-2018, 05:04 PM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]Since they are all GC games mentioned... They should always show the banner.

If you deleted the Wii folder in My Documents\Dolphin Emulator (or the whole Dolphin Emulator folder), then you also deleted the save files for your Wii Games... which also causes the banners for those games to disappear.
And if you deleted the GC folder inside My Documents\Dolphin Emulator (or the whole Dolphin Emulator folder), then you have also deleted the Memory Cards for your GC games (If I'm not mistaken, that should be the default location where they are saved)

I definitely didnt delete any of the folders, just moved them to a new location
(05-31-2018, 11:02 AM)sillyname396 Wrote: [ -> ]I definitely didnt delete any of the folders, just moved them to a new location

Then Dolphin cannot find them anymore... and that is the reason why everything is missing, there are only 2 locations where it can find its saves by default: My Documents\Dolphin Emulator, or if you create a portable.txt in the same folder as Dolphin.exe in the User folder located inside the Dolphin application folder, next to Dolphin.exe.
(05-31-2018, 04:19 PM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]Then Dolphin cannot find them anymore... and that is the reason why everything is missing, there are only 2 locations where it can find its saves by default: My Documents\Dolphin Emulator, or if you create a portable.txt in the same folder as Dolphin.exe in the User folder located inside the Dolphin application folder, next to Dolphin.exe.

okay...so where could it be? I searched "MEMCARD" in My PC, but to no avail, only showing with my save data from my PC version of Guitar Hero III.
(06-02-2018, 05:29 AM)sillyname396 Wrote: [ -> ]okay...so where could it be? I searched "MEMCARD" in My PC, but to no avail, only showing with my save data from my PC version of Guitar Hero III.

Well, the Wii doesn't use memcards, it instead uses its internal memory for save games, this internal memory is called the NAND, if you only moved files around and didn't delete anything, your NAND should be in the place where you moved your files to and it is in the Wii folder... Inside It will have folders with a bunch of numbers... Some of these numberfolders are your save games. Default location is my documents\Dolphin emulator\Wii

Concerning the game cube saves, those use memory cards but they can be named anything... The default location is inside my documents\Dolphin emulator\GC but since you moved them around we have no clue where you might have put those. 
(06-02-2018, 05:46 AM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]Well, the Wii doesn't use memcards, it instead uses its internal memory for save games, this internal memory is called the NAND, if you only moved files around and didn't delete anything, your NAND should be in the place where you moved your files to and it is in the Wii folder... Inside It will have folders with a bunch of numbers... Some of these numberfolders are your save games. Default location is my documents\Dolphin emulator\Wii

Concerning the game cube saves, those use memory cards but they can be named anything... The default location is inside my documents\Dolphin emulator\GC but since you moved them around we have no clue where you might have put those. 

I took a video of all the files inside the GC and Wii folders, can you find any problems?
[color=#222222]https://gfycat.com/DistinctDetailedArcherfish[/color]
(06-04-2018, 11:30 AM)sillyname396 Wrote: [ -> ]I took a video of all the files inside the GC and Wii folders, can you find any problems?
[color=#222222]https://gfycat.com/DistinctDetailedArcherfish[/color]

That seems to be the current folders, without any saves whatsoever (and IIRC there should be just a folder called Wii in the main folder above "Sys")

You said you moved folders around... Where are those?
(06-04-2018, 04:17 PM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]That seems to be the current folders, without any saves whatsoever (and IIRC there should be just a folder called Wii in the main folder above "Sys")

You said you moved folders around... Where are those?

all i did was move the dolphin folder you see there from OneDrive Documents to My PC Documents. I moved it because I wanted to clean everything up and my OneDrive was running out of space. The first time I tried moving Dolphin, it had the same result but I didn't have any save files so it wasn't a big deal. Here is a picture of Spongebob: Battle for Bikini Bottom, right after I loaded it.
Pages: 1 2