Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can the ASUS X200MA run dolphin well?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hello. I currently own the low-end ASUS X200MA laptop. Now, I have not touches it in a while but I remember I used to have dolphin on it before factory resetting it. I recently picked it back up and put dolphin on it and I tried Xenoblade Chronicles and it runs like absolute garbage. It hangs around 18 fps and frequently drops to 5 or 6 fps. It's not playable. Am I remembering wrong? Can this laptop run dolphin and Wii games well or not? Is it just because Xenoblade is a hefty game?

I'd appreciate any help i can get because I am not at all knowledgeable on computer specs and whatnot.
You probably remembered wrong.

That laptop looks like garbage.

It has a celeron CPU with a GPU that functions by the mere definition of "It displays graphics"
Thank you for the reply Helios. I guess I just remembered wrong then. Do you know any way to improve my laptop's performance so that it is able to run it?
To get the most out of it:
-Use the latest dev build of Dolphin
-Make sure the Windows Power options are set to High Power and the power cable is plugged in
-Don't change any of the settings in Dolphin from defaults
-See if the program ThrottleStop can help you. I don't know if BayTrail-M CPUs have turbo boost or not off the top of my head
(05-08-2018, 01:03 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]It has a celeron CPU

It actually can be equipped with either a Celeron or a Pentium.

However the main issue is that the only Celeron and Pentium choices for that specific laptop are those that use the Bay Trail-M architecture, which in terms of raw performance is more in-line with the likes of a Core 2 Duo/Core 2 Quad from 10 years ago.

And Helios, there are Celeron CPUs that do actually use Intel's high-performance CPU architectures (Skylake, Haswell, etc), though they usually come with a considerably lower clockrate compared to their Pentium and i3/i5/i7/i9 brethren.
You can dress it up all you like, it's still a trash can at the end of the day.

2 out of the three possible configs have a poorly labeled Intel HD GPU. Likely the same trash used in the atom CPUs.

You don't need to splain hardware to me.

EDIT: The pentium config also has a trash tier GPU. You really shouldn't splain hardware when it's not even relevant.
(05-08-2018, 05:31 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]You can dress it up all you like, it's still a trash can at the end of the day.

2 out of the three possible configs have an unnamed Intel HD GPU. Likely the same trash used in the atom CPUs.

You don't need to splain hardware to me.

EDIT: The pentium config also has a trash tier GPU. You really shouldn't splain hardware when it's not even relevant.

I specifically said "Bay Trail-M", and that is an Atom-based architecture.

Secondly,  the likes of Ryzen and Haswell can perform twice as fast as a Core 2 Duo/Quad at the same given clockrate, so comparing the IPC of a Bay Trail-M to a Core2 CPU isn't exactly what I'd consider a compliment (heck there are ARM CPUs have better IPC).
Thank you all for the replies and suggestions, I really appreciate it. KHg8m3r, i will try your suggestions and see if they do anything. However, my laptop has been having many problems recently and seems to have reached the end of its lifetime so I will most likely buy a newer, more powerful one (probably the Acer Aspire R14) anyway.

Thanks again everyone.
(05-08-2018, 08:36 AM)DBurns Wrote: [ -> ]Acer Aspire R14

Just keep in mind that the iGPU in that laptop isn't that great - maybe only enough for 1x or 2x internal resolution.

The CPU choices aren't the best either with them all being U-models, but it'll still be around twice as fast as the Bay Trail-M processor you currently have - and you might be able to keep the CPU at higher clocks via the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility or even ThrottleStop (which might be able to undervolt as well which could additionally help keep clocks up).
If you want a 2-in-1 Acer, look at the newer Acer Spin 5. It has an 8th gen i5-8250U, Intel HD 620, 8 GB RAM, 1080p screen, and a 256 GB SSD for $740. Way better than the R14, but also more expensive.

If you don't mind ditching the 2in-1 package, Dell makes some good gaming laptops. Their new G3 line is pretty good: http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-lapt...579-laptop
Pages: 1 2 3 4