Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: wxWidgets vs Qt and Windows 10 Insider Preview Sets feature
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
To start things off, here is a screenshot of the legacy DolphinWx.exe build shipped with the latest build of Dolphin:
[Image: jBrCqEC.png]

On the flip side, Windows 10 Sets doesn't detect DolphinQt application windows as seen here:
[Image: sV3AYGX.png]

What I am guessing is that wxWidgets operates so low-level in Win32 that the application window looks completely ordinary to Windows and thus build 17661 (first Insider Preview outside of Skip Ahead to support Sets) puts it in a tabbed environment, and since my copy of Dolphin was configured to run the game in a separate window Sets created a tab for it.
With Qt, there must be something weird about how the application window is created that prevents Windows from using the Sets feature.

With this all considered, where should I lay the blame on Sets not working? I'm guessing probably Dolphin isn't a major contributor, as it probably uses app windows in a pretty standard way. This leaves Qt due to their window handling or Microsoft for not detecting Qt applications as a normal app window.

If anyone wants to try out Windows 10 Sets feature, at this point you will need to enable Windows Insider Preview in the Fast ring, download build 17661, and make sure that you are opted in to the Sets experiment (to test open Explorer and see if it is in a tabbed window).

P.S. In case it matters, I was using the Vulkan backend for both screenshots.
I'm guessing that 'Sets' is something that adds tabs to a window's top bar so you can access other running instances of the same program?

I'd investigate whether or not other Qt applications work. It's fairly ubiquitous these days, so you probably have something else that uses Qt installed already.
(05-05-2018, 08:32 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm guessing that 'Sets' is something that adds tabs to a window's top bar so you can access other running instances of the same program?

I'd investigate whether or not other Qt applications work. It's fairly ubiquitous these days, so you probably have something else that uses Qt installed already.

Yes, that is exactly what Sets does.  In fact, you can even drag tabs from other applications to combine them all into a single tabbed window.

Unfortunately the rest of my Qt applications use customized window decorations so Sets wouldn't support them anyway during this phase of the preview.
Just found out this is a known issue with Qt. This is being tracked as a bug by the Qt developers:
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-67699

There is also a report on the Windows Feedback Hub:
https://insider.windows.com/en-us/fb/?co...638&form=1
Windows 10 with the Feedback Hub app is required to view this report.

According to the bugs, this is apparently due to the windows being created with the WS_POPUP flag.
Don't forget Sets isn't ready yet and some behavior you're seeing isn't supposed to work like that (e.g. the render window being automatically "tabbed" to the main Dolphin window)...