Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Idea: Separation of graphics settings according to backend?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been seeing it talked about how changing the backend sometimes messes with settings or does some weird random stuff with the GUI.

And you have the graphics window being flashed each time the backend is changed.

Instead of fighting it, why not give it what it "wants".

This would also make possible to set different defaults for different backend when it makes sense.

It would feel more safe, but also it gives kinda more "profiles", for example if some user finds his DX11 working better with those kinds of settings, on Vulkan it could be different, isntead of changing all the individual settings you would just change the backend and the settings you had previously set in that backend would be applied.
I vote NO, if I switch back-ends I want my configuration to be exactly the same. That way I can do easy and fast regression testing (basically without thinking) between the different back-ends and know that my settings will not be of influence to it.

If a back-end configuration messes up the GUI then there is a bug that should be squashed, not worked around. For a "normal user" it would make the least amount of sense because they will change their settings 1 time and then never touch them again... because it works. For super-users like me, and I hope you as well, there are other/better(?) ways to achieve these multiple profiles.
I'm also not very supportive of this. It worked that way in the past, prior to the configs for each back-end being more closely aligned. It constantly resulted in problems for people testing that would forget about different settings being set in each backend.
Um no. We've deliberately gone in the opposite direction over time.
Have some more no
Not that it matters at this point but it's a No from me as well.
I mean, ideally you shouldn't be fooling around with 3 different backends all the time. Especially when you've found one that works for a given game, normally you'd stick with it until you switch to another game that might perform better under a different backend. But in that case, that's something you can already solve with per-game .ini settings.
tbh I don't really know why you'd need to use multiple backends at all these days.

After 5.0, I dunno. I don't know of many serious issues that only exists in one backend for non shovelware games.

I just use GL everywhere
I don't know why you'd switch either. It's not like the old days of Dolphin where D3D had numerous actual performance advantages in terms of speed and # of glitches compared to OpenGL. These days it's mostly people trying out Vulkan from what I understand. Some people swear it works like magic for whatever their issue is... sometimes. So they switch.
Well okay, didn't know it was like that before.