Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Gameplay choppy with corrupted audio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone, first of all I'm kind of a noob to this so feel free to correct me if I'm doing anything anything wrong.  Anyway, I'm having some trouble with Dolphin.  I've installed various GameCube and Wii games, and my problem here is that actual gameplay is choppy and the audio is messed up.  I've only tested the two GameCube games I have (on the Wii games I can't get past the menus because I don't have a USB sensor bar) but the situation is the same for each: The menus work fine but the gameplay itself is very laggy and the audio seems corrupted.  I initially tested Super Mario Sunshine (AR cheats enabled) and the game itself was nearly unplayable.  Corrupted textures and music, about 2 FPS and the game itself is slowed down a lot.  However, I turned off the AR cheats and gameplay slightly improved. (now I'm going to have to get ALL THOSE SHINES!) Meanwhile, I opened Double Dash (this time I only enabled ONE AR cheat) and once again, menus worked fine but gameplay was the same.  The AR cheats seem to be the primary cause of this, but I wondered if there's another way I could keep the AR cheats (GameCube games in general seem to have hard levels and I'd like to have more stuff unlocked, thank you very much) and change some settings so gameplay would improve a little.  I can provide a video showing the problem.

Additionally (I don't know if this contributes to the problem) I have Widescreen mods for both games.
(05-04-2018, 09:33 AM)Robertium Wrote: [ -> ]Hi everyone, first of all I'm kind of a noob to this so feel free to correct me if I'm doing anything anything wrong.  Anyway, I'm having some trouble with Dolphin.  I've installed various GameCube and Wii games, and my problem here is that actual gameplay is choppy and the audio is messed up.  I've only tested the two GameCube games I have (on the Wii games I can't get past the menus because I don't have a USB sensor bar) but the situation is the same for each: The menus work fine but the gameplay itself is very laggy and the audio seems corrupted.  I initially tested Super Mario Sunshine (AR cheats enabled) and the game itself was nearly unplayable.  Corrupted textures and music, about 2 FPS and the game itself is slowed down a lot.  However, I turned off the AR cheats and gameplay slightly improved. (now I'm going to have to get ALL THOSE SHINES!) Meanwhile, I opened Double Dash (this time I only enabled ONE AR cheat) and once again, menus worked fine but gameplay was the same.  The AR cheats seem to be the primary cause of this, but I wondered if there's another way I could keep the AR cheats (GameCube games in general seem to have hard levels and I'd like to have more stuff unlocked, thank you very much) and change some settings so gameplay would improve a little.  I can provide a video showing the problem.

Additionally (I don't know if this contributes to the problem) I have Widescreen mods for both games.

AR codes are currently a bit bugged where they slow down games quite some bit. I understand your motives to have more stuff unlocked BUT it is so much more satisfying if you do it yourself!
Another thing that you need to know is: If your gameplay is slow and choppy then the same will happen to the sound.

Unlike PC games, Gamecube and Wii games (and PS2 too) are made to run at a specific framerate (25/50 for PAL region games and 30/60 for NTSC) and everything is tied to that, so if your FPS drop from 60 to 30 the game will effectively run at half the speed and slow down sound and inputs as well...

I checked your specs and it seems that you are using a laptop, so there are a few small things that you can do:

1. Make sure your Windows Power settings are always set up to the High Perfomance plan
2. Always play the games while connected to a powercable.
3. Make sure your GPU drivers are up to date (https://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/3...l-whql.exe)
4. Get the latest Dolphin development version from the download page, you can find them at the top. Extract to a new and empty folder and also create an empty portable.txt in the same folder as Dolphin.exe
5. Create a profile for Dolphin.exe in the nVidia control panel and make sure that it has selected your GeForce card as default and also make sure to set the Powermode to Prefer Highest Performance
6. In GeForce experience turn off Batteryboost and Shadowplay
7. In Dolphin set Shader Compilation to Asynchronous (Ubershader) and Tick the box to Compile shaders at startup
8. In Dolphin set Graphics Back-end to Direct3D
9. In Dolphin set Internal Resolution (or IR) to 3x
10. In Dolphin set the Audio Back-end to CubeB and select HLE audio
11. In Dolphin turn off the cheats

Now test if the games are running at full speed, if they are not, you could try to change the IR to 1x and see if that changes anything, if it doesn't then the CPU in your laptop is too slow and there is really not anything we or you can do except advise you the get a computer with a faster CPU.

Please keep in mind that the Laptop you have is using an Ultra Low Power CPU, these are generally quite a lot slower than their non-ULP version. Probably your laptop is also quite thin and thus might have issues getting rid of all its heat, causing the Thermal Throttle to kick in and lower the clock speed of the CPU even further.

You actually do not need a Sensor bar for Wii games if you are using the emulated Wiimotes. You can set it up to have your mouse or a set of keys or a controller to move the IR pointer. Depending on the game you might not even need the pointer.
Theoretically, disabling the AR cheat should have worked for me, but unfortunately once I actually ENABLED it, it stayed.  I disabled the Unlock Everything AR code but when I booted up the game, it showed that I still had everything unlocked... The save data is also burned into the game files (I believe?) and the built-in thing that views the gamefile system shows the "award data".  Any way how to get rid of it?

Here is a link to a snapshot to show what I'm talking about:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VckkuXi...sp=sharing

Also, I am quite aware that my CPU is underpowered, unfortunately.  Even my old computer had a faster one Sad
(05-04-2018, 08:17 PM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]AR codes are currently a bit bugged where they slow down games quite some bit.

The performance problem that showed up a while ago only affects Gecko codes, not AR codes. I'm not aware of anything that needs to be fixed performance-wise when it comes to AR codes.

(05-04-2018, 10:03 PM)Robertium Wrote: [ -> ]Theoretically, disabling the AR cheat should have worked for me, but unfortunately once I actually ENABLED it, it stayed.  I disabled the Unlock Everything AR code but when I booted up the game, it showed that I still had everything unlocked... The save data is also burned into the game files (I believe?) and the built-in thing that views the gamefile system shows the "award data".  Any way how to get rid of it?

You'll need to delete the save data.
Once I found my save data folder and deleted everything in there for Double Dash, AND after disabling the 16x9 widescreen mod
AND after doing most of what you said, the lag still remains.  I simply don't understand how and why these codes have a lasting effect on the game.  The day I got Dolphin and downloaded this, all my games worked fine, without any problem, and I was able to crank up the settings and still get a decent simulation rate.  The instant I turned on the cheats, everything got corrupted.  Even AFTER disabling cheats, Double Dash is now basically unplayable, and regardless of how many times I turn the graphics settings DOWN it's the same.  I think I'm going to play my Steam games for now :/
Actually, forget that. I disabled all cheats individually but I forgot to enable the "disable cheats" button in the Configuration. Anyway, now the game will run well if I run it in native resolution with NO ADDONS WHATSOEVER. However, what I still don't understand is why was it running fine in 1080p before all these addon shenanigans, and after all that (when it's all fixed) it now lags HEAVILY in 1080p+ and I have to run it at 480?
Attention everyone who is slightly new to this and wants improved performance....
This is what worked for me:

I enabled every single option in the "hacks" window in the graphics menu, and that sped up my gameplay plenty. I was even able to run it at 720p!