Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is Ryzen 2200G decent enough to emulate Xenoblade Chronicles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I'm currently in the process of buying a used copy of Xenoblade Chronicles from the Internet. And I just want to ask before I pull the trigger, will my current system setup be enough to handle the game with Dolphin?

I don't really plan to apply HD textures or any of the fancy settings to make it look better, I just want to experience the game. Thank you for the answers and cheers!

EDIT - I forgot to post my system specs (whoops), so here it is:
Ryzen 2200G (OC 3.9GHz)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz (OC 2667MHz)
2TB HDD
120GB SSD
Should be, since Ryzen AMD works pretty well with dolphin.
(05-03-2018, 12:45 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Should be, since Ryzen AMD works pretty well with dolphin.

Thank you! I just happened to seal the deal with the seller. Can't wait to dump and try it out.  Big Grin
I'm not sure how representative this scene is compared to the rest of the game, but the following video of a combat situation shows that Xenoblade works without issue with a recent development build of Dolphin on a Ryzen 2400G at 4GHz: https://youtu.be/ik3zLdM25E0?t=5m26s

Since you'll be using discrete graphics, the only fundamental difference would be that the Ryzen 2400G is a 4core/8thread part while the 2200G is 4core/4thread...but Dolphin only really cares about having two to three fast threads, so the 4 threads of the 2200G is already more than enough (you can see on the left-side chart in the video that half of the CPU threads have utilization in the single-digit range, implying that they're barely if at all being used by Dolphin).
(05-03-2018, 05:34 AM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure how representative this scene is compared to the rest of the game, but the following video of a combat situation shows that Xenoblade works without issue with a recent development build of Dolphin on a Ryzen 2400G at 4GHz: https://youtu.be/ik3zLdM25E0?t=5m26s

Since you'll be using discrete graphics, the only fundamental difference would be that the Ryzen 2400G is a 4core/8thread part while the 2200G is 4core/4thread...but Dolphin only really cares about having two to three fast threads, so the 4 threads of the 2200G is already more than enough (you can see on the left-side chart in the video that half of the CPU threads have utilization in the single-digit range, implying that they're barely if at all being used by Dolphin).

Thank you for the benchmark video. This settles my worries about how will the emulator perform on my rig. The game should be arriving any time today and I'm excited to try it out. I will post the results later once I'm able to play it. 
UPDATE: The copy of the game arrived earlier, and we spent a solid 2 hours dumping the game (borrowed a friend's hacked Wii). The game runs like a dream on my end and I just found out that I can still overclock my CPU to 4.0GHz stable. I have a video showing how it performs on the first few moments of the game, but it's posted on my facebook.

Thank you so much for the answers, looks like I'll be enjoying the heck out of this gem for a while. Big Grin
(05-04-2018, 01:28 PM)GreaseFunky Wrote: [ -> ]we spent a solid 2 hours dumping the game (borrowed a friend's hacked Wii)

What were you using, a USB drive plugged into an old USB 1.1 hub? Tongue

I say this because dumping a dual-layer Wii game via CleanRip shouldn't even take an hour let alone two.
(05-04-2018, 01:33 PM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]What were you using, a USB drive plugged into an old USB 1.1 hub? Tongue

I say this because dumping a dual-layer Wii game via CleanRip shouldn't even take an hour let alone two.

Well, neither of us had dumped a game before so we had to read through the wiki and watched video tutorials on how to do it (just to be double sure). I wasn't really paying attention to the time, so maybe it took an hour? Big Grin