Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Having troubles running on a laptop.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

otaviomad

So, I've aquired myself a new laptop to have a portable computer, and chose one with a pretty decent configuration so that I could play my games on-the-go.

But I can't seem to get the dedicated graphics to work properly. When I choose the dedicated graphics card(hd 7670), the game appears to run worse than with the integrated graphics card(hd graphics 4000)!

I've already set it to high performance on the control center and used throttlestop to increase the clock, but it hasn't worked.

I get slowdowns on the menu of mario kart wii, and I've almost got it to work after some tinkering in ishiiruka's build, but it still isn't enough. Mario party 7 works pretty well on the integrated graphics card, but I can't upscale it otherwise it farts itself.

I've searched all over for a solution, so I ended up creating an account to post here. Sorry if I've missed something.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Everything seems to be set up corretly and I still haven't had luck.

Processor: i7 3612-QM
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1666Mhz
GPU: HD 7670 1gb and HD Graphics 4000
- Make sure you have the latest amd driver (if you *can* install it the version from amd.com, do that - some laptop vendors block their devices being used with the standard driver (No idea why, I can only assume they hate consumers)). Otherwise check the laptop vendor's website, and hope.
- AMD generally prefers DX11 and Vulkan video backends to OpenGL - that may help?
- You don't want to use throttlestop to overclock/force turbo modes unless you're only CPU limited (and have plenty of cooling and power delivery and you enjoy playing with fire) - the TDP on a laptop is effectively shared between all components - a hot CPU could cause the GPU to heat up more and throttle, for example.

otaviomad

(04-26-2018, 09:01 AM)JonnyH Wrote: [ -> ]- Make sure you have the latest amd driver (if you *can* install it the version from amd.com, do that - some laptop vendors block their devices being used with the standard driver (No idea why, I can only assume they hate consumers)). Otherwise check the laptop vendor's website, and hope.
- AMD generally prefers DX11 and Vulkan video backends to OpenGL - that may help?
- You don't want to use throttlestop to overclock/force turbo modes unless you're only CPU limited (and have plenty of cooling and power delivery and you enjoy playing with fire) - the TDP on a laptop is effectively shared between all components - a hot CPU could cause the GPU to heat up more and throttle, for example.

I believe it is updated to the last version, since catalyst did an autoupdate today.
Sadly, my video card doesn't seem to support Vulkan, and that appears to be hardware-related.
Throttlestop did actually improve my performance, since it looks like my cpu limits itself when I use the dedicated GPU.

I really hope I can fix this, I've been considering OCing my GPU but that isn't very recommended for laptops and I really like this one.
I don't know where in the new AMD software it is, but there should be an option to force high performance mode or something like that. It's possible that the GPU is not staying in sustained high power mode.

otaviomad

(04-26-2018, 03:59 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know where in the new AMD software it is, but there should be an option to force high performance mode or something like that. It's possible that the GPU is not staying in sustained high power mode.

It is already set to high performance, though.
Ah ok, your original post wasn’t super clear if that was AMD software or Windows Power Management