Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: All keyboard input gone after long play session
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Edboy

I recently installed dolphin to play mario kart wii, and it all went pretty well but I am new and don't fully understand everything.

A problem that i've run into is that after a long bit of playing mario kart, maybe over an hour, my keyboard will become unresponsive. I then can't use esc to exit out of the emulation, and have been force-shutting down my laptop.

How can I fix this?
Is your computer getting hot as well? It could be getting hot and not dissipating the heat enough, getting your keyboard circuits hot, and making them not work.

Can you plug in a USB keyboard and check to see if that still works?

Edboy

(04-25-2018, 06:16 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Is your computer getting hot as well? It could be getting hot and not dissipating the heat enough, getting your keyboard circuits hot, and making them not work.

Can you plug in a USB keyboard and check to see if that still works?

I don't have a USB keyboard available but my computer gets hotter playing GTA V or RocketLeague and i've never had this issue
Those are PC games, which are most likely stressing your GPU more than your CPU, as Dolphin is more heavily stressing on your CPU, which are separate chips on different parts of your computer.

If you can, download Prime95 and have it stress test your CPU for an hour and see if the keyboard issue happens.

Or see if you can get a USB/Bluetooth keyboard and test that.

Or plug into an external monitor and load up the software keyboard on it beforehand and see if your can click the ESC button with your mouse, as it will see if it's Dolphin that locks up or your physical keyboard.

Or see if Ctrl +Alt + Del, F4, or Ctrl + Shift + Esc, or Alt + Enter works, as it could just be ESC. (unless you already tried this and it truly is your keyboard)

Edboy

(04-25-2018, 07:03 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Those are PC games, which are most likely stressing your GPU more than your CPU, as Dolphin is more heavily stressing on your CPU, which are separate chips on different parts of your computer.

If you can, download Prime95 and have it stress test your CPU for an hour and see if the keyboard issue happens.

Or see if you can get a USB/Bluetooth keyboard and test that.

Or plug into an external monitor and load up the software keyboard on it beforehand and see if your can click the ESC button with your mouse, as it will see if it's Dolphin that locks up or your physical keyboard.

Or see if Ctrl +Alt + Del, F4, or Ctrl + Shift + Esc, or Alt + Enter works, as it could just be ESC. (unless you already tried this and it truly is your keyboard)
I tried all of those and it's definitely the whole keyboard. If it is the CPU being over-worked, that's an issue outside of Dolphin, right? thank you
Well, it's Dolphin causing the CPU to be worked really hard. But if the heat is causing your keyboard to stop working, that's the computer manufacturer problem for not designing a better cooling solution.

You might be able to fix it by opening up the computer and replacing the thermal paste on your CPU. Or making your fans run full speed. Or a cooling mat to help bleed heat from the bottom of the chassis. But that is if this is a heat problem.

Edboy

(04-25-2018, 07:56 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Well, it's Dolphin causing the CPU to be worked really hard. But if the heat is causing your keyboard to stop working, that's the computer manufacturer problem for not designing a better cooling solution.

You might be able to fix it by opening up the computer and replacing the thermal paste on your CPU. Or making your fans run full speed. Or a cooling mat to help bleed heat from the bottom of the chassis. But that is if this is a heat problem.

I made it so the emulation opened in a window instead of fullscreen and was able to end the simulation but my keyboard stayed disabled. I'll have to figure out a cooling solution.