Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Which games use the most RAM?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Jes

Hi, I need to know which GCN and Wii games are notable for taking up the most RAM.

If anyone could tell me I'd appreciate it.
None of them, really. Wii games use a bit more RAM than GameCube games, though.
(04-23-2018, 02:52 PM)Jes Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, I need to know which GCN and Wii games are notable for taking up the most RAM.

If anyone could tell me I'd appreciate it.

They only start using a lot of RAM when you are going to prefetch 4k+ texture packs, but on average all of Dolphin takes about 300MB of RAM when playing games.

Jes

Thanks for the replies. Huh, I thought some games might take up more like Metroid Prime or Rogue Squadron, but that's good to know.

Is RAM usage going to be the same across Android too?
I think Dolphin's RAM usage while playing a game is slightly lower on Android because the game list GUI isn't running, but other than that, there's not much difference between different operating systems.
(04-23-2018, 05:02 PM)Jes Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the replies. Huh, I thought some games might take up more like Metroid Prime or Rogue Squadron, but that's good to know.

Is RAM usage going to be the same across Android too?

Not sure, but just telling you upfront... Even though an Android version exists it isn't really maintained because 99% of the devices are still too slow and almost all off them have broken drivers. Both of which the Dolphin team can't do anything about.

Jes

(04-23-2018, 05:06 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]I think Dolphin's RAM usage while playing a game is slightly lower on Android because the game list GUI isn't running, but other than that, there's not much difference between different operating systems.

Oh, didn't know it was less, good to know.

(04-23-2018, 10:50 PM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure, but just telling you upfront... Even though an Android version exists it isn't really maintained because 99% of the devices are still too slow and almost all off them have broken drivers. Both of which the Dolphin team can't do anything about.

I just got a Galaxy S9, is this going to be a problem?
one thing i learn about emulators is that the most important factor in terms of performance is the processor
(04-25-2018, 07:48 PM)Jes Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, didn't know it was less, good to know.

I just got a Galaxy S9, is this going to be a problem?

Yes, any Android device will have issues running most games. For the S9 there are 2 versions: The Snapdragon and the Exynos version, historically the Exynos versions have much worse support for Dolphin than the Snapdragons.

Jes

(04-26-2018, 07:19 PM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, any Android device will have issues running most games. For the S9 there are 2 versions: The Snapdragon and the Exynos version, historically the Exynos versions have much worse support for Dolphin than the Snapdragons.

Mine's a Snapdragon, so I should be good then you think?
Pages: 1 2