Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Gecko code issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I recently started using the Dolphin emulator.  And I've only got a handful games so far.  Metroid Prime, Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, and Mario Power Tennis.  I have a fairly beefy system so I wanted to push the games as hard as I could. (At a reasonable resolution).

These games require gecko codes for proper 16:9 aspect ratio.  With, or without, the built-in widescreen hack.  To rid of culling and proper pop-in.  A consistent issue that has been very prevalent in all of these games while using a gecko widescreen hack code, is hanging.

The frame rate will drop down to like 1 for about a second or so.  The only thing that will remedy this issue, is if I disable the gecko code.  With the games running as smooth as a baby's butt.  And no hiccups.  But if re-enabled, the issue comes back.

--Some useful info--

+System Specs+

-GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1080
-CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.00GHz
-RAM: 32GB DDR4
-Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170-HD3P-CF

+ Dolphin Configurations+

-Dual Cores: Enabled
-CPU Emulation Engine: JIT Recompiler
-DSP Emulation Engine: DSP HLE Emulation
-Backend Audio: XAudio2
-CPU Overclock: Disabled
-Custom RTC: Disabled

+Graphics Configuration+

-Backend: Direct3D 11
-V-Sync: Enabled
-Shader: Hybrid
-Internal Resolution: x3 1080p
-Anti-Aliasing: 4x SSAA
-Anistropic FIltering: 16x
-Scaled EFB Copy: On
-Force Texture Filtering: On
-Disable Fog: Off
-Per-Pixel Lighting: On
-Widescreen Hack" On/Off (Dependent On Game)
-Force 24-Bit Color: On
-Everything Else: Default

Yes, there is a known problem with stuttering when using Gecko codes. Right now, there isn't any solution other than going back to the Gecko codehandler of an older version of Dolphin.
(04-20-2018, 05:48 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, there is a known problem with stuttering when using Gecko codes. Right now, there isn't any solution other than going back to the Gecko codehandler of an older version of Dolphin.

Oh.  Alright.  Well I appreciate the reply. Hey, which version of Dolphin first introduced Ubershaders as an option?
https://dolphin-emu.org/download/dev/ba5...5d1b93cd4/

Ubershaders were added after the Gecko code stuttering started, though.
(04-20-2018, 06:30 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]https://dolphin-emu.org/download/dev/ba5...5d1b93cd4/

Ubershaders were added after the Gecko code stuttering started, though.

How far back do I have to go to be stutter-free?
Before 5.0-4575. But if you really want to, you can "transplant" an older codehandler.bin file into a newer version of Dolphin.
(04-20-2018, 07:12 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Before 5.0-4575. But if you really want to, you can "transplant" an older codehandler.bin file into a newer version of Dolphin.
How could I go about doing that?  I'm quite new to all this. EDIT. I found out how to do it. Though, going to the version you mentioned, I find it painfully ironic that it says improved gecko codehandler.
Next to Dolphin.exe, there's a folder called Sys. In the Sys folder, there's a file called codehandler.bin. You can replace that file with the corresponding file from a different version of Dolphin.

Keep in mind that while the older versions of codehandler.bin don't stutter like the newer ones, they do have lower compatibility with Gecko codes, but that's mostly a problem for button-activated codes and not codes related to culling or the aspect ratio.
(04-20-2018, 07:28 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Next to Dolphin.exe, there's a folder called Sys. In the Sys folder, there's a file called codehandler.bin. You can replace that file with the corresponding file from a different version of Dolphin.

Keep in mind that while the older versions of codehandler.bin don't stutter like the newer ones, they do have lower compatibility with Gecko codes, but that's mostly a problem for button-activated codes and not codes related to culling or the aspect ratio.

Much appreciated. Also, if there are negative side effects, I can always just revert back. Or, keep a backup of both and switch between depending what I'm playing.
(04-20-2018, 07:28 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Next to Dolphin.exe, there's a folder called Sys. In the Sys folder, there's a file called codehandler.bin. You can replace that file with the corresponding file from a different version of Dolphin.

You said that there wasn't a known fix for this issue.  It seems you found it!  It works!  It seriously works!!  THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!   Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart
Pages: 1 2