Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: mirror mode
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i think it will be cool if dolphin will add a feature to mirror the view and controls of the game to add a challenge to some games
(04-20-2018, 10:44 AM)chumpz Wrote: [ -> ]i think it will be cool if dolphin will add a feature to mirror the view and controls of the game to add a challenge to some games

LOL WHAT?!? NO...

You can actually mirror your screen yourself with some extra software. Go do that.
(04-20-2018, 10:44 AM)chumpz Wrote: [ -> ]i think it will be cool if dolphin will add a feature to mirror the view and controls of the game to add a challenge to some games

And the "Most Pointless Feature Suggestion" award of 2018 goes to... Well... It is not completely pointless, but not in the way you suggest which is through Dolphin. The games instead should handle that themselves.

But seriously, if you want to have mirror mode to add some challenge to your games... Either find a suitable cheat that does so or find a game that already supports it. The Mario Kart series is known for a Mirror Mode cup, having all tracks mirrored. You could also try Ocarina of Time 3D for the 3DS which has mirrored the whole world for the Master Quest mode. And as mstreurman mentioned, mirroring the whole screen itself is even easier to do yourself, if you reeeeeeaaaaly want it.

Essentially the emulator should focus on what it is supposed to be, an emulation of the GameCube/Wii hardware. The games themselves should implement a Mirror Mode natively, or through some hacking. I do like Mirror Mode myself, but doing it through Dolphin itself is not the answer.
Mirror mode is actually pretty trivial to add. You just do a post-processing shader that flips the X-axis. Then, you flip the controls manually. Anyone with basic shader knowledge could offer an unofficial 3rd party solution (like we had with a few custom shaders for Dolphin in the past). I mean, if someone wanted to, they could try to add the shader Dolphin with a pull request of their own. Admittedly, some of the existing shaders are just as silly or "pointless" depending on your point of view. Only downside is backwards text, but not an issue for some games that mainly use HUDs and nothing else.

Anyway, there is some merit to wanting a "reverse mode". It triggers a sense of unfamiliarity in our brains when doing platformers right to left, also most people (mainly right-handed?) unconsciously associate that directional movement with fear. So it's a small way to spice up gaming for limited titles. Other stuff like Super Mario Sunshine, not so much, since there's free movement, and the text is all backwards in dialog-heavy games.
thanks shonumi, this is a fun mode for all games
(04-20-2018, 11:52 PM)Admentus Wrote: [ -> ]But seriously, if you want to have mirror mode to add some challenge to your games... Either find a suitable cheat that does so or find a game that already supports it. The Mario Kart series is known for a Mirror Mode cup, having all tracks mirrored. You could also try Ocarina of Time 3D for the 3DS which has mirrored the whole world for the Master Quest mode. And as mstreurman mentioned, mirroring the whole screen itself is even easier to do yourself, if you reeeeeeaaaaly want it.

already played the master quest and TPHD hero mode and it adds a challenge to mirror the game