Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: SSBB/ General Frame Drop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, When I start up SSBB and the wii remote screen pops up (the one before almost all wii games) the frames dip to about 5-8 fps... after it gets past the the smash logo loading black screen, then it runs fine at 60 fps. I'm sure that its something with the loading process, but is there a way to speed the loading back up to around 60 fps?
- I should note that for the first week or so having Dolphin, the loading screens ran at 60 fps...
You haven´t provided us with enough info (Dolphin version and build used, Dolphin settings, PC specs...).

1-For the PC specs, use CPU-Z and GPU-Z.
2-Your profile says "Windows 10 x86". We don´t support 32-bit anymore. You might want to switch to 64-bit before updating Dolphin.
(04-20-2018, 02:47 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]You haven´t provided us with enough info (Dolphin version and build used, Dolphin settings, PC specs...).

1-For the PC specs, use CPU-Z and GPU-Z.
2-Your profile says "Windows 10 x86". We don´t support 32-bit anymore. You might want to switch to 64-bit before updating Dolphin.

5.0-6983 is what the build version says I'm pretty sure.

Intel Core i5 7200U and 2.5GHz

Intel HD Graphics 620

Memory : 12Gb RAM

And it is a x64, sorry, I miss-clicked and will change it now.

I know my computer isn't great in terms of specs, but its just a standard laptop.
And your settings? SSBB is not that demanding. Something is really wrong with your config.

Meanwhile, activate High Performance profile on the Intel HD Control Panel and on Windows.
(04-20-2018, 08:31 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]And your settings? SSBB is not that demanding. Something is really wrong with your config.

Meanwhile, activate High Performance profile on the Intel HD Control Panel and on Windows.

Well everything is just on default pretty much, just have the load custom graphics box checked for the hd/sharper appearance.
(04-23-2018, 01:26 PM)Foxblade Wrote: [ -> ]Well everything is just on default pretty much, just have the load custom graphics box checked for the hd/sharper appearance.

Does it happen also without it?
Custom graphics do not increase the resolution to HD btw, that is what Internal resolution is for.

1. Download and install the latest drivers for your iGPU (Intel HD Graphics 620: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27650/a...5.4982.exe)
2. Download and install the latest VulkanSDK (just to be sure: https://vulkan.lunarg.com/sdk/home#sdk/d...taller.exe)
3. Download the latest development version which can be found at the top of the download page
4. Extract it to a new and empty folder (do not overwrite your existing folder)
5. Create an empty portable.txt in the same folder as Dolphin.exe
6. In Dolphin Graphics: Vulkan (if available, otherwise select DirectX)
7. In Dolphin General > Shader Compilation > Synchronous (this will introduce a stutter which will go away if you play more because it has to build up a new shader cache)
8. In Dolphin General > Audio > HLE and set to CubeB back-end
9. In Windows Power Settings turn on High Performance and always have your laptop plugged in to the wall outlet for power.
10. In Intel iGPU settings make sure that you turn every setting to performance.

Now change the following settings one by one (don't take all these settings at the same time but do speed testing in between to see when it slows down):

1. Graphics: Internal Resolution 1x (increase to 2x when you get full speed in the game, which is either 25/50 for PAL or 30/60 for NTSC, if you don't then your computer is too slow to run the game (go to game breaking speed increase) else rinse repeat increasing the IR 1 step at a time until it slows down)
2. Graphics: Anisotropic Filtering 16x (decrease to 8x when you get slowdowns in your game, if necessary go down further until stutters are gone)
3. Graphics: Turn on Custom Texture pack and Prefetch Custom Textures (if this slows down your game... turn it off again)
4. Profit!!! You have now found the best settings for your specific game on this specific computer.

*GAME BREAKING SPEED INCREASES*
1. General > Shader compilation > Asynchronous (Skip Drawing)
2. General > Overclock CPU > Go down 5-10% and check if it runs fast enough if not go down another 5-10%, rinse repeat.
A virus scanner is interrupting Brawl's ability to quickly write/read small files to the harddrive.

That's causing the slowdown.