Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin crashes when selecting Vulkan as backend
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

slowdown5646

I am trying to use Dolphin on a newer computer I built and I was getting poor performance (using OpenGL as the backend). I decided to update to a recent development build so that I could try using Vulkan, but every time I select Vulkan from the drop down list, Dolphin immediately closes. I have tried the following:

- Uninstalling and reinstalling Dolphin
- Downloading the latest SDK of Vulkan
- Restarting the computer
- Trying an older build

My GPU/CPU drivers are all up to date as well. Anyone have any ideas why this might be occurring and how to fix it? I am using an AMD Ryzen 5 2400G APU.
(04-18-2018, 02:24 PM)slowdown5646 Wrote: [ -> ]I am trying to use Dolphin on a newer computer I built and I was getting poor performance (using OpenGL as the backend). I decided to update to a recent development build so that I could try using Vulkan, but every time I select Vulkan from the drop down list, Dolphin immediately closes. I have tried the following:

- Uninstalling and reinstalling Dolphin
- Downloading the latest SDK of Vulkan
- Restarting the computer
- Trying an older build

My GPU/CPU drivers are all up to date as well. Anyone have any ideas why this might be occurring and how to fix it? I am using an AMD Ryzen 5 2400G APU.

Did you also download and install the latest drivers for your APU from here: https://www2.ati.com/drivers/rv-win10-64...-feb12.exe ?

slowdown5646

I have indeed done that and still the problem persists
Any reason not to use D3D? It also does a lot better than GL on AMD GPUs.

Also, when Dolphin closes, do any messages appear? Any error messages? You could also try making an empty "portable.txt" file where the executable is and then switch to Vulkan.
(04-19-2018, 01:54 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]Any reason not to use D3D? It also does a lot better than GL on AMD GPUs.

Also, when Dolphin closes, do any messages appear? Any error messages? You could also try making an empty "portable.txt" file where the executable is and then switch to Vulkan.

But Vulkan *SHOULD* also be working fine and usually ekes out D3D in Dolphin. Anyway: Indeed try to make Dolphin portable and see if it works. If so, it means there is some sort of configuration error. You could also try re-installing the Vulkan SDK from here: https://vulkan.lunarg.com/sdk/home#sdk/d...taller.exe which was recently updated to support Vulkan 1.1 (8th of March 2018)
(04-19-2018, 04:27 PM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]But Vulkan *SHOULD* also be working fine and usually ekes out D3D in Dolphin. Anyway: Indeed try to make Dolphin portable and see if it works. If so, it means there is some sort of configuration error. You could also try re-installing the Vulkan SDK from here: https://vulkan.lunarg.com/sdk/home#sdk/d...taller.exe which was recently updated to support Vulkan 1.1 (8th of March 2018)

Never said it shouldn´t. Also, my point was that Vulkan is not his only alternative to GL.

slowdown5646

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, Dolphin still closes when adding the blank portable txt. There is no error message, the program simply shuts down. I also downloaded the most recent Vulkan SDK which was apparently updated yesterday. Still nothing.

I did try D3D and it actually works better than OpenGL but I can only use native settings and I was hoping I could at least use 720p