Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is It good enought for all games ??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Samz101992

Hi, i bought my laptop to play all emulator console.
Is it enough with this configuration ?
Thanks

I5 7300 2.5 ghz
8go
Getforce 1050 Ti
Windows 10
Will probably work fine for every game. I think there was a performance regression on the Rogue Squadron games, but that's on us.

Samz101992

(04-17-2018, 09:22 PM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Will probably work fine for every game. I think there was a performance regression on the Rogue Squadron games, but that's on us.

Thanks but during my emulation, the games have lag issue but it's playable.
I expect a little bit more 
you're going to need to give more information than that

which games? post screenshots of your graphics settings
Generally, laptops using the lower powered cores (the i5-7300 seems to come in either dual (u) or quad core (hq) variants) are often power or thermally limited. Intel themselves advertise that the chips can be configured for either 45 or 35 watts - undoubtedly there's a noticeable performance impact from that outside of throttling.

So that may explain why you might not be getting the expected performance that a simple "kaby late @ specific clockrate" might suggest, or even comparing the "same" chip if a different device has better cooling.

So yes, a kaby lake at 3.5ghz boost should be fast enough for pretty much everything - *if* it can maintain that boost.

Samz101992

Thanks Jonny
So i have to sell my laptop  and change for a tower.
I'll do that.
Thanks
(04-18-2018, 10:34 AM)Samz101992 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Jonny
So i have to sell my laptop  and change for a tower.
I'll do that.
Thanks

As a rule you pay for portability - either in money or performance (or a bit of both).

If you don't *need* it to be portable - you can normally get much better bang for your buck with a desktop (which can get pretty small with ITX boards and cases, if space is an issue, for a smaller sacrifice than a laptop)
(04-18-2018, 07:15 AM)Samz101992 Wrote: [ -> ]the games have lag issue but it's playable.

Make sure you are using Ubershaders (ideally set to "asynchronous") and that Dolphin is using your discrete GPU and not your iGPU.

If that doesn't solve your issue, then try using the program "ThrottleStop" to keep your laptop CPU at whatever its highest possible clockrate is without thermal-throttling.

And if that causes the CPU gets too hot then you may be able to undervolt it via ThrottleStop as well which will reduce temperatures without reducing the performance (though I don't know if ThrottleStop's undervolting functionality works on Kaby Lake CPUs).

Just don't freak out when you find that ThrottleStop has "expired" come January 2019 - all you need to is update the program to the newest version for it work again.

(04-18-2018, 10:34 AM)Samz101992 Wrote: [ -> ]So i have to sell my laptop  and change for a tower.
I'll do that.

Don't be so hasty - if your issues originate from simply not using ubershaders than even an 8700K @ 5GHz coupled with a GTX 1080Ti wouldn't solve your problems.

Samz101992

Wow thanks for all your advices. My games works much better. I'm really satisfy. Is it possible to have the same results with Smash Bros on Cemu? I know it's more difficult to emulate. But, i have the same results than before with Dolphin. Lags but playable.
Thanks!
You'll have to ask on CEMU channels of communication.

We don't care about CEMU
Pages: 1 2