Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Metroid Other M Black Screen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Samus_prime

I have tried for hours and hours to get this working but after wasting an entire day I can't get it to work. This game doesn't work on any version of dolphin above 3.5. I've tried all versions up to and including the latest dev builds. All give the black screen. The game loads up fine, says I need to play with the wiimote sideways like it always does, then goes to a black screen. Version 3.5 however plays the game fine. The black screen on later versions however is non responsive and stays black indefinitely.

My set up

Core i5 4460
Gtx 1060 6gb
Windows 10
16GB ram
Dolphin versions 3.5 - latest dev build
I've tried all graphical back ends (direct X, software, GL)
Tried different dumps including different formats (ciso and WBFD)
Controls work fine in 3.5
All settings at default

Please help me with this. I love this game. I've searched everywhere and no one else seems to be having this issue. It even happens on the Android version. Other games run fine. It's just this one.
3.5 is ancient and unlikely to work well. Please be more specific about your problems with recent releases, this title should work without issue in them.
(04-16-2018, 08:51 PM)Samus_prime Wrote: [ -> ]I have tried for hours and hours to get this working but after wasting an entire day I can't get it to work. This game doesn't work on any version of dolphin above 3.5. I've tried all versions up to and including the latest dev builds. All give the black screen. The game loads up fine, says I need to play with the wiimote sideways like it always does, then goes to a black screen. Version 3.5 however plays the game fine. The black screen on later versions however is non responsive and stays black indefinitely.

My set up

Core i5 4460
Gtx 1060 6gb
Windows 10
16GB ram
Dolphin versions 3.5 - latest dev build
I've tried all graphical back ends (direct X, software, GL)
Tried different dumps including different formats (ciso and WBFD)
Controls work fine in 3.5
All settings at default

Please help me with this. I love this game. I've searched everywhere and no one else seems to be having this issue. It even happens on the Android version. Other games run fine. It's just this one.

before you do anything else, download the latest 5.0 development version from the top of the download page, extract it to a new and empty folder (so don't overwrite any existing folder/files you have) and update your graphics drivers to the latest version from the nVidia Website: https://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/3...l-whql.exe. Put Dolphin in portable mode so that your current configuration doesn't interfere: you can do this by creating an empty portable.txt in the same folder as the dolphin.exe. This will make an User folder in that same folder where new default settings are saved. DO NOT TOUCH any other setting except for the controller settings (which will need to be rebound) and see if the game runs. If this is the case you can now copy that new user folder to the root of your c: drive and overwrite everything, this should make sure your saved games are there and the correct configuration will be kept. Finally delete the portable.txt again.

from there on out you can change the settings you would need to enhance the game

My recommendation would be:

1. Turn on "Asynchronous (Ubershader)" and tick the box "Compile shaders before starting" in the "General" settings tab
2. Select DirectX as graphics back-end
3. select 3x IR (internal resolution) if you have a 1080p screen or 6x IR if you have a 2160p screen, do not go above the native resolution of your screen and make sure you can run 25/50 stable for PAL 30/60 for NTSC, if not go down 1 step in IR and try again (the downscaler is not that nice in Dolphin).
4. select 16x AF
5. make sure that for Audio you have selected HLE and the CubeB backend

CHECK IF YOUR GAME STILL RUNS AT THE STABLE FPS, if this is the case: You can start increasing your AA settings until you get slowdowns again, as soon as you get slowdown you go down 1 step: TADAAAAH you have found the optimal settings to run this specific game at.

Now you can go and check out the Texture pack forums to see if there is a texture pack to your liking available for your game, please do keep in mind that some texture packs are still a work in progress and others can put a huge strain on your system thus needing to lower the settings of Dolphin again.