Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: dolphin 6.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
i have a strong hunch that if dolphin build reaches 5.0.9999 then the next version will be dolphin 6.0... does it really gonna take that long for dolphin to have a new stable version? the latest build is stable for all games so why not release dolphin 6.0?
(04-15-2018, 09:01 PM)chumpz Wrote: [ -> ]i have a strong hunch that if dolphin build reaches 5.0.9999 then the next version will be dolphin 6.0... does it really gonna take that long for dolphin to have a new stable version? the latest build is stable for all games so why not release dolphin 6.0?

Nope. Build version 5.0-10000 and onwards will be published instead. Dolphin 6.0 will come when the developers (or any one responsible for deciding doing that) feel like doing so. Honestly, I don't think there are that many eager for Dolphin 6.0 just yet... Just thinking of the feature freeze makes most of them shiver, I suppose, brrr. There was a 3 year gap between 4.0.2 and 5.0. So it should be too soon for 6.0 yet (as of now 5.0 was released 1 year and 9 months ago). But again, it is up to those responsible for 6.0. I wouldn't be excited yet an imminent release of 6.0 just yet unless through an official announcement.
(04-15-2018, 09:01 PM)chumpz Wrote: [ -> ]the latest build is stable for all games

Nope. Here are some games with reported regressions since 5.0:

Ed, Edd n Eddy
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
NHL Slapshot
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Sonic Riders
Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity
There are at least 20 more Wii games to add to that list that regressed since 5.0 .. I reported all of them in their respective threads
(04-16-2018, 02:13 AM)DarkMoe Wrote: [ -> ]There are at least 20 more Wii games to add to that list that regressed since 5.0 .. I reported all of them in their respective threads

Could you post the list here ? I'll go check their threads.
(04-16-2018, 04:17 AM)Shadorino Wrote: [ -> ]Could you post the list here ? I'll go check their threads.

I don't have it, I've been testing every single Wii game for 4 months now, search my posts or check the threads individually.
(04-16-2018, 05:25 AM)DarkMoe Wrote: [ -> ]I don't have it, I've been testing every single Wii game for 4 months now, search my posts or check the threads individually.

Thanks, I just checked.
Why do people want the "stable" releases anyway? It doesn't mean anything, plus it puts a huge roadblock in the way of making more features.
There are some valid points, like providing easier access to Linux users. E.g. most "official" PPAs won't add packages anything but a stable software version into their repositories. Another valid point is cleaning up the wiki. On the game pages, we only track problems that occur in the latest stable release or newer (and if said problem happens to be fixed by a development build, the entry is crossed out and moved to bottom). When a new stable version is out, all crossed-out entries are purged and if necessary, the game rating is updated to reflect that.

But, regardless of that, I also think is too early for another stable release. Yes, current development builds already have a shitload of improvements and enhancements on top of 5.0 that alone would be enough for a new stable release, but the feature freeze isn't something easy to manage and it inadvertently has the potential to kill developer interest. I mean, most (if not all) active devs we have works on Dolphin on their free time and on areas that interest them. Having a feature freeze means they can only do bug fixes until all regressions are fixed and the new stable is out, and that is uninteresting for many...
(04-16-2018, 07:42 AM)Kurausukun Wrote: [ -> ]Why do people want the "stable" releases anyway? It doesn't mean anything, plus it puts a huge roadblock in the way of making more features.

i can think of a few reasons

1. as the name suggests it is stable which means it has no problems or issues
2. the added features that was not released on 5.0 will be added to 6.0
3. some people are lazy to download new dev updates
4. some people will think that the feature update is added to the latest development version

why is a feature or performance update since 5.0 not marked the release of dolphin 6.0? also is dolphin 6.0 about a feature or performance update?
Pages: 1 2