Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: how much would this build be able to upscale?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Intel Xeon E5649 6 core
Inno3d Geforce GTX 960 2gb gddr5
32gb ddr3 ram
You won't be GPU limited, so you can upscale plenty. But your CPU may be too slow to emulate a lot of games in Dolphin at full speed.

https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#which-...ould-i-use

Your CPU is from 2011. predates sandybridge even
(04-15-2018, 05:57 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]You won't be GPU limited, so you can upscale plenty. But your CPU may be too slow to emulate a lot of games in Dolphin at full speed.

https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#which-...ould-i-use

Your CPU is from 2011. predates sandybridge even
OK, thanks
What about an intel xeon e5-1660 with the rest of the build being the same?
Better, but you'll still lag in some games most likely.

Basically, if you want to play dolphin flawlessly on every game, a haswell-class performing CPU at around 4 ghz is required. The CPUs you're suggesting are quite a bit below that.

Lesser things will run for sure, but don't be surprised when games like Rogue Squadron or Super Mario Galaxy lags even at 1x internal resolution.
(04-15-2018, 08:35 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Better, but you'll still lag in some games most likely.

Basically, if you want to play dolphin flawlessly on every game, a haswell-class performing CPU at around 4 ghz is required. The CPUs you're suggesting are quite a bit below that.

Lesser things will run for sure, but don't be surprised when games like Rogue Squadron or Super Mario Galaxy lags even at 1x internal resolution.
Looking at benchmarks for this processer, it only has about 700 less on the single thread performance rating than the i7 8700k, and about 300 less than the i7 4770k, which looks to me that dolphin would run fine. Are you tslking about the most demanding games on dolphin? Because most of the games I usually play run flawlessly upscaled to 1080p on an imac with amd radeon hd 6970m graphics, and on Direct X 12, I believe the performance would be boosted even more by the graphics backend.
And also, wouldn't up scaling decrease the CPU load slightly?
Scaling up would not decrease CPU load at all.
(04-16-2018, 05:19 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Scaling up would not decrease CPU load at all.

OK, i guess I was mistaken
(04-16-2018, 04:11 AM)enajor66 Wrote: [ -> ]Looking at benchmarks for this processer, it only has about 700 less on the single thread performance rating than the i7 8700k, and about 300 less than the i7 4770k.

Those are clearly not emulator benchmarks as Haswell and newer are weirdly fast at emulation.  To put it into perspective, the performance difference in emulation between a 4770k and 8700k is less than the difference between a 4770k and a 3770k.