Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Upgrade to Radeon Software Crimson Edition Beta?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi
I recently bought a second hand laptop from a friend and came across this on the web so I decided to ask.
These are my specs:

HP G6 2307sp Laptop
Operating System:Windows 10 x64
Processor/CPU:Intel® Core™ i7-3632QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
Memory/RAM:8GB Kingston 1600MHz
Video Card/GPU:AMD Radeon HD 7600M+Intel® HD Graphics 4000 (6GB)

When it comes to the AMD GPU I'm using the Catalyst Control Center Software.
They have the newer Radeon Software Crimson Edition Beta which appears to be compatible with my AMD Radeon HD 7600M
as said in their site:

https://support.amd.com/pt-br/download/d...0%20-%2064

I was wondering if any of you has done this upgrade and if it's recommended gaming wise or should I leave as it is.

I'm always reluctant of upgrading drivers and stuff (unless Windows tells me to) with fear of messing things up.
For example my Bluetooth doesn't work because of damn upgrades from win 8 to 10.

Thank you for your answers.
The biggest benefit would have been if it supported Vulkan, but that wasn't added until the version after - Crimson 16.3. In fact, this is likely why the newest beta version is 16.2.1 as your GPU uses the older TeraScale architecture which does not support Vulkan at all (not even on Linux).

Otherwise you're likely better off just using whatever drivers HP provides on their website for that specific laptop considering that it sounds like your laptop has switchable graphics.

Amusingly, the Intel integrated graphics can actually support Vulkan on Linux, but that'd probably require running at like 1x internal resolution (maybe 2x) for any chance of getting better performance, but that's without regard for ubershaders. Nevertheless this would almost certainly require using dual channel RAM, and it isn't clear if you have 2x4GB or 1x8GB.
(04-11-2018, 09:03 AM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]The biggest benefit would have been if it supported Vulkan, but that wasn't added until the version after - Crimson 16.3. In fact, this is likely why the newest beta version is 16.2.1 as your GPU uses the older TeraScale architecture which does not support Vulkan at all (not even on Linux).

Otherwise you're likely better off just using whatever drivers HP provides on their website for that specific laptop considering that it sounds like your laptop has switchable graphics.

Amusingly, the Intel integrated graphics can actually support Vulkan on Linux, but that'd probably require running at like 1x internal resolution (maybe 2x) for any chance of getting better performance, but that's without regard for ubershaders. Nevertheless this would almost certainly require using dual channel RAM, and it isn't clear if you have 2x4GB or 1x8GB.

I have 2x4 GB RAM!
How to I make specs appear in the bottom of every message like you have?
Can't see a signature option in the profile settings...
(04-11-2018, 10:50 AM)RetroJesus Wrote: [ -> ]How to I make specs appear in the bottom of every message like you have?
Can't see a signature option in the profile settings...

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/usercp.ph...on=editsig
(04-11-2018, 11:58 AM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/usercp.ph...on=editsig
"You must have at least 10 posts before adding a signature."

Thanks.

So you don't recommend upgrading?
I'm also using Retroarch and PCSX2 emulators.
(04-11-2018, 01:56 PM)RetroJesus Wrote: [ -> ]So you don't recommend upgrading?

Consider that the biggest limiting factor when it comes to emulation is your CPU.

Now different graphics APIs can result in reduced CPU utilization, but for your hardware you aren't really going to see much if any of an improvement driver-wise unless you were willing to use the Mesa drivers on Linux (which would provide much better OpenGL support on both AMD and Intel as well as Vulkan support on Intel).