Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin PC Parts: Second Opinions?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

PhysicBerry

I'm rehousing an ancient early 2000's computer rig (basically building from scratch) and I'd like some informed opinions on the hardware I've selected. From my research and understanding of Dolphin emulator, I went with an Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU as recommended, and chose selections that appear affordable as well as capable. However, due to the fact that I truthfully only know as much as I researched, I'd rather ask those more experienced with the nuances of the Dolphin emulator. My goal is to be able to run Xenoblade Chronicles and Super Smash Bros Brawl in 1080p (or at least 720p) with/without HD textures at nearly totally consistent 100%.

CPU: https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-2500-Qua...1253506011

GPU: https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-GeForce-72...6066316011

If you have any thoughts that these parts may not do the job, or that I can get more bang for my buck in terms of output, please let me know!
It's not clear in your post, but are you planning on buying that Intel CPU and using it in your old PC?

If your PC was made before 2011, then that CPU will flat-out not work in your PC. If you were planning on buying a compatible motherboard and RAM to go with that CPU, then that would also be a bad idea as there are newer CPUs that are both cheaper and faster.

The GPU is not the greatest, but we really should we sort out your CPU situation first.
Do not buy GDDR3 variants of the gt640 or the gt730 they are junk and will give performance 1/2 to 1/4 of the gddr5 variants of the cards.
------
As a gt640 user in my emulation rig I thought I should bring that up.... that said.

The i5 2500 (non K) is below the recomended spec to run demanding titles on Dolphin. Also if you are ping anywhere near $125 for an i5 2500 you are geting ripped off when you can get a kaby lake pentium that perform better in single threaded heavy loada (like emulators). Or one of the low end ryzen chips which would also outperform the 2500 in single threaded heavy tasks and perform better in multi threaded tasks as well.

For GPUs if you want to run any kind of enhancements at all (higher then native resolution or any texture packs) then you really need to put a gtx 750 as the minimum requirement for 720p/1080p and better if you want other enhancements as well
(04-07-2018, 04:52 PM)TKSilver Wrote: [ -> ]r one of the low end ryzen chips which would also outperform the 2500 in single threaded heavy tasks and perform better in multi threaded tasks as well.

For GPUs if you want to run any kind of enhancements at all (higher then native resolution or any texture packs) then you really need to put a gtx 750 as the minimum requirement for 720p/1080p and better if you want other enhancements as well

Or better yet, kill two birds with one stone with a Ryzen 2200G - Dolphin CPU performance comparable to an overclocked Ivy Bridge i5 and Vulkan GPU performance comparable to a GT 1030.

A Pentium G4600 would also work decently - at low resolutions (1x to 2x internal resolution without ubershaders) it'd be faster than the Ryzen, but at higher resolutions and with ubershaders the Ryzen would be faster.