Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Vulkan performance considerably worse than OpenGL?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have recently set up Dolphin on an Ubuntu 17.10 box, and I am having some serious performance issues with the Vulkan back end.

My testing game is Zelda TP, and at 2x Native I can get a fairly stable average ~50 FPS (30 FPS is 100% speed) with the OpenGL back end.

When I switch to Vulkan, performance starts to suffer in a big way:
  • Just sitting there doing nothing in the opening area, looking at more or less a static scene, the frame rate jumps around between 19 and 65 FPS.  (its 50+ here on the OpenGL backend).
  • Moving the sprite cursor around the screen drops the FPS to 25 until I stop moving it.  (It stays at ~50 on the OpenGL backend).
  • Some scenes, like the intro panning past the bridge, drop to 10-15 FPS for a bit.  (They stay at 45+ on the OpenGL backend).

I am running 5.0 (ccfeda6).

Is there anything I can do to test if this is an issue with Dolphin's current support of Vulkan, of the state of Vulkan on Linux, or with the drivers for my chipset?
What driver are you using for vulkan? What GPU?

I believe the open source vulkan drivers are somewhat experimental and still getting significant changes - it may be that with your particular hardware/software combination you get better performance right now from OpenGL.

It might be worth looking at what versions of the drivers (kernel & mesa) your ubuntu has installed - it may be there are later versions available with improvements already.
(03-28-2018, 12:21 PM)JonnyH Wrote: [ -> ]What driver are you using for vulkan? What GPU?

I am running an Intel Iris Plus 650
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/iris_...aphics_650

(03-28-2018, 12:21 PM)JonnyH Wrote: [ -> ]I believe the open source vulkan drivers are somewhat experimental and still getting significant changes - it may be that with your particular hardware/software combination you get better performance right now from OpenGL.

I cannot get Windows to recognize a partition to dual boot otherwise I would try and see if I get similar results in Windows or if its just a Linux issue.

(03-28-2018, 12:21 PM)JonnyH Wrote: [ -> ]I believe the open source vulkan drivers are somewhat experimental and still getting significant changes - it may be that with your particular hardware/software combination you get better performance right now from OpenGL.

It might be worth looking at what versions of the drivers (kernel & mesa) your ubuntu has installed - it may be there are later versions available with improvements already.

I just installed the drivers a few hours ago, they are the latest versions; at least the latest versions in the latest stable version of Ubuntu.