Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Recommend notebook 300-400$
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

BankaiTZ

Hello!
Will pull such Wii processors on the minimum settings:

AMD Dual-Core A9-9420 (3.0 - 3.6 ГГц) + Radeon 530

AMD Dual-Core A6-9220 (2.5 - 2.9 ГГц) + Radeon 530

Intel Pentium 4415U (2.3 ГГц) + GeForce GT 920MX

Intel Pentium 3825U (1.9 ГГц) + GeForce GT 920MX

recommend notebook 300-400$???
None of those laptops will run Dolphin well.

You will not find any laptop for 300-400 USD that can run Dolphin well.
This. ^

You´re better off saving a lot more, and then buying a good quality gaming laptop. I´m planning on buying this one, for instance:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XFG7157/?co..._lig_dp_it
Of the specific laptops you list, the Pentium 4415U will likely perform the best.

For all intents and purposes, the Pentium 4415U is pretty much just a Pentium G4560 with a 33% lower clockrate as both are 2core/4thread Kaby Lake CPUs (with HD610 integrated graphics as well, but obviously there's a discrete GPU in play here), so it would be reasonable to suggest that performance will similarly be 33% of a desktop Pentium G4560. Looking at the results of the Dolphin 5.0 benchmark (remember that newer development versions of Dolphin will perform better!), this should result in CPU performance that is somewhere around 3.5GHz Ivy Bridge level or so.

I do just want to say though that the discrete GPU only being a 920MX makes me sad since even the Vega 8 integrated graphics on a Ryzen 2500U when paired with dual-channel RAM would be faster. Tongue At least the 920MX should still be considerably better than the Intel HD610 integrated graphics.

(03-19-2018, 02:35 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]None of those laptops will run Dolphin well.

Being only 33% slower than the ever-popular Pentium G4560 certainly isn't anything to scoff at when one considers Dolphin's weirdly-fast performance boost on Haswell and newer.
And you're assuming that CPU will run at rated clocks all the time.

At $400 USD, I'm not counting on reasonable cooling solutions lol

Also the 920mx is abysmal
(03-19-2018, 07:00 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]And you're assuming that CPU will run at rated clocks all the time.
2.3GHz is the base clockrate, not the boost as Pentiums lack turbo boost altogether.

(03-19-2018, 07:00 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]At $400 USD, I'm not counting on reasonable cooling solutions lol
That can very well depend on the size of the laptop - if it's a 15" then it'd be quite easy to cool such a CPU and GPU for cheap considering that both parts certainly don't sip much power at all (this isn't a 3+GHz i5 paired with a mid-range discrete GPU).

(03-19-2018, 07:00 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Also the 920mx is abysmal
It's still faster than the Intel HD630 let alone the Intel HD610 (which is more appropriate for the term "abysmal"), and the 920mx would have guaranteed support for Vulkan unlike the Intel graphics which would farther help to improve performance in Dolphin.
According to https://technical.city/en/video/GeForce-...aphics-610, the Geforce is about 100% faster (2x) than the Intel HD Graphics 610, and I can push 2xIR easily on most games with my iGPU so I wouldn't be really suprised if the Geforce920MX is able to comfortably push 3x IR.

The only thing I am scared of is that the clockrate of the computer might be a bit on the low side Intel Pentium 4415U, but as NM64 it will always run at 2.3GHz but it does have SpeedStep so the user will have to turn on High Performance mode
(03-19-2018, 05:44 PM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]The only thing I am scared of is that the clockrate of the computer might be a bit on the low side Intel Pentium 4415U

If you're feeling up to it, you could always underclock your own G4560 to a 23x multiplier and see how it performs in Dolphin.
(03-19-2018, 05:50 PM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]If you're feeling up to it, you could always underclock your own G4560 to a 23x multiplier and see how it performs in Dolphin.

I'm not sure, but I think my Mainboard doesn't support manual downclocking, but yeah, will try when I get home. Probably will try running SMS, TLOZ:WW and TP (just the first few scenes) any other requests?
(03-20-2018, 01:18 AM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure, but I think my Mainboard doesn't support manual downclocking

All I know is that underclocking is supported on even the cheapest AM2/3/4 motherboards with locked CPUs, but with Intel I have no experience outside of my own z97 motherboard and Pentium G3258 (both of which are unlocked for overclocking anyway).