Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: priority for performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
CPU
GPU
RAM
Free Memory Space
DDR3/DDR4/SSD

among this i know that CPU is the most important factor for emulator performance.. but what is the next important thing among the the remaining 4.. what is there rankings and why? is DDR4 performs better than DDR3 on emulation and SSD is better than DDR4?

lets just say we will rank this based on windows 10 as the OS.. thanks

msteurman i need your full explanation, no joking aside it is because you explain things in laymans term
CPU: This will do the most work out of all the other components, generally speaking. That's what counts the most as you already know.

GPU: Needs to be strong enough for 1x IR. Basically anything that's not bottom-tier integrated graphics (think Intel HD 4000) will do for most games. If you go beyond 1x IR or add things like AA, then you need a stronger GPU, but you can always cut back the enhancements to regain performance. If your CPU is too slow though, upgrading your GPU or getting a better one will do nothing, however.

RAM: Irrelevant for performance. Most systems come with 2GB minimum (4GB seems standard though) and that's enough. RAM doesn't affect performance, but obviously don't try to run Dolphin on something like 128MB...

Free Memory Space: Irrelevant for performance.

DDR3/DDR4/SSD: Irrelevant for performance.
thanks
For perspective's sake, I'd just like to say that I'm literally on bottom-tier integrated graphics (Intel HD 4000) and I can still get 2x Internal Resolution on Xenoblade...somehow. Really, Dolphin has no reason to be running nearly as well on my Macbook as it does.