Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Trouble with Netplay
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Vohras

Greetings, I've been trying to play online with some friends using keyboard for netplay. However, we are having problems with being able to actually input to the game. So far, we've tried various controller settings to get it to work, and we managed to get it so that one player was able to do things on the menus and such, but none of the other players could confirm their wiimotes to actually get the games starting. We've looked online and done numerous things to try and help, but no luck so far.

Just to eliminate some questions, here are some things we are for sure on.

We all have the same Dolphin and game version.
We are using transverse server with the code function for netplay.
We have gone to config and checked enable dual core, cheats, and put speed cap at 100%.
We have nothing in the slots under gamecube basic settings.
We all have emulated wii remote setup in wii remote slot 1.
We have tried both keyboard and standard controller for port 1 under gamecube controllers.
We also tried disabling either gamecube controllers or wiiremote, but no luck.

I'd be happy to provide any more information you guys need, and thank you for taking the time to help.
(03-09-2018, 01:21 AM)Vohras Wrote: [ -> ]We all have emulated wii remote setup in wii remote slot 1.

That sounds like the problem. Confusingly enough, all players have to configure the Wii Remotes that all players are going to use, not just the one they're going to use themselves. So for instance, if you're two players, both players set up two Wii Remotes, and player 1 maps their input to Wii Remote 1 while player 2 maps their input to Wii Remote 2.
Shouldn't that get synced automatically by the Netplay code then?

Vohras

That was exactly the issue. Thank you for the prompt response. I also had to manually assign players the wii controllers in the config tab too once we were in the game lobby.
(03-09-2018, 02:31 AM)delroth Wrote: [ -> ]Shouldn't that get synced automatically by the Netplay code then?

It would be sensible to do it that way, but the Wii Remote netplay code hasn't exactly gotten all the attention it needs...
Using Wii remote netplay is a nightmare unless you're very, very, very familiar with how it works.

I only know of a few groups that've gotten it working consistently, and most of those people I had to walk-through. It's in a disasterously bad state, and I don't recommend average users attempt it.

Vohras

Well, the game in question doesn't really need all the motion aspects of the wii remote. It basically just needs the D-pad and the 1&2 buttons. So, I suppose we are lucky in that regard! If you guys know of an easier way to coordinate simply using keyboard across netplay, I'd be all ears.
Once you get it working, it should be fine. It's just a pain in the butt to get working. If you're getting the frame 0/1 freeze after doing everything JosJuice said, it can sometimes help to clear the Wii remote settings and reconfigure them on all computers.