Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 120Hz Monitor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As i have 120Hz Monitor im kinda used to 120fps vsync'd so I'm wondering if there is any way to get Wii Mario Kart working at this refresh rate without speeding up the gameplay. tbf its still very good at the 60fps i get (accept when cornering, which is when i notice it ) ...but i thought id ask if it's do-able?

I'm using Dolphin 4.0 as 5.0 seems not to render at least 1 effect that i noticed (directional conveyer tracks on Toad's Factory) ...still on 1st cup  Blush

I'm not bashing it rlly as im made up to be actually able to play the game and it does look, visually, miles better than it's ever done on any TV  Big Grin

Like i said I'm just curious if it's do-able  Huh     ...PC Spec's on Profile page Cool  
No. Game specific hacks are required.
(03-07-2018, 11:34 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]No. Game specific hacks are required.

Thanks for the reply, could u elaborate per chance? Blush
Almost all Wii and GameCube games have a fixed framerate and have their logic tied to that framerate so if the framerate goes higher, the speed of everything else goes higher, too. However, by modifying the game (usually via Action Replay or Gecko codes) someone might be able to change the relationship between game speed and framerate. If they're lucky, the game will have one single memory location which holds the target framerate or the target frametime and doubling or halving the value held there will make it work at 120 FPS once Dolphins framelimiter is set to 120 (or everything will be at half speed). Usually, though, there are a zillion values which would need to be changed, or, even worse, there will be effects or gameplay mechanics where something takes a fixed number of frames to complete, so games vary from a nuisance to impossible to make a patch for.

Off the top of my head, I don't remember if Mario Kart has a 120 FPS code.
AFAIK only Brawl and Melee have 120 FPS modifications.
For Melee, search "Faster Melee".
For Brawl -> https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-ga...#pid366935
(03-07-2018, 06:47 PM)DrHouse64 Wrote: [ -> ]For Melee, search "Faster Melee".

Faster Melee doesn't actually increase the number of unique frames you see per second.
(03-07-2018, 07:27 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Faster Melee doesn't actually increase the number of unique frames you see per second.

Oh, you're right.
It's simply "120 FPS Melee"
(03-07-2018, 08:44 PM)DrHouse64 Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, you're right.
It's simply "120 FPS Melee"

Are you sure? The only "120 FPS" Melee I've heard of just doubles each frame.
(03-07-2018, 10:51 AM)Meaty Wrote: [ -> ]As i have 120Hz Monitor im kinda used to 120fps vsync'd so I'm wondering if there is any way to get Wii Mario Kart working at this refresh rate without speeding up the gameplay. tbf its still very good at the 60fps i get (accept when cornering, which is when i notice it ) ...but i thought id ask if it's do-able?

I'm using Dolphin 4.0 as 5.0 seems not to render at least 1 effect that i noticed (directional conveyer tracks on Toad's Factory) ...still on 1st cup  Blush

I'm not bashing it rlly as im made up to be actually able to play the game and it does look, visually, miles better than it's ever done on any TV  Big Grin

Like i said I'm just curious if it's do-able  Huh     ...PC Spec's on Profile page Cool  
First of all you should always use the latest development version of Dolphin since 4.0 is not supported by the forums at all. You can find these on the download page. These usually have way better performance, and with the latest version you get ubershaders which will noticably reduce stutters in Mario Kart when turning corners (so called shader stuttering, it should also go away when you play the game for a while) as well as a plethora of other improvements to games and usually is more stable than the "stable" version because most bugs and regressions get squashed before the update gets merged into master.

Also make sure to use OpenGL or Vulkan in Windows 7 since D3D11 in W7 is missing a very important DX11 extension called LogicOps which is used by a lot of games and causes graphical issues if it is not present. Or upgrade to Windows 10 since it is supported in there with D3D11.

If after all this the effect with the conveyor tracks at Toad's Factory is still missing then it might be smart to create a bug report for it (fill it in completely don't leave anything out) so the Dev-team can take a look at it and maybe try to fix it.
(03-07-2018, 09:03 PM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]First of all you should always use the latest development version of Dolphin since 4.0 is not supported by the forums at all. You can find these on the download page if you scroll down a bit.

They're at the top nowadays.
Pages: 1 2