Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 30 vs 60
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
does achieving 30 fps much easier than 60 fps, is it also recommended to run the game at 30 fps for low end system like mine?
Sure, running at 30 FPS is easier than 60 FPS...

The issue only is that you can not set a FPS cap for console games (at least for Nintendo games... A Xbox One X or PlayStation Pro might be a different story)... So you are forced with whatever FPS cap the game sets, which most of the time is either 30 FPS or 60 FPS. A lot of games already run at 30 FPS natively, so you can't go much lower...

Unless you manage to find an AR or Gecko code that modifies the FPS cap... If such one exists for your game on demand. PAL region games could be ran at 50 Hz mode which would be either 25 FPS or 50 FPS. Most PAL GameCube and Wii games support 60 Hz too... Which is a different story too for the NES, SNES and N64... While PAL might seem easier to run in 50 Hz mode, I believe the spare power from running at a lower FPS might for example be used for calculations. For example the PAL version of Donkey Kong 64 used the spare power from running at a lower FPS to improve the collision detection.

Again, it all depends on the game. Titles such as Super Smash Bros. Melee or New Super Mario Bros. Wii which run at 60 FPS are much easier to emulate than titles such as Xenoblade Chronicles and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess which run at 30 FPS. Through Super Mario Galaxy which runs at 60 FPS is once again one of the more demanding games available to emulate.

Mario Kart Wii runs at 60 FPS too, but I believe there is an AR code around that lowers the FPS to 30 FPS... That might help, never tested it myself since if prefer leaving it at 60 FPS.