Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Cannot change default file locations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

UnfocusedZeus39

Hi everybody. My laptop technically has two built-in hard drives, one for the main system "C" (which I try not to install things on because it seems to fill up quick), and a larger 1TB hard drive just for games "D". Dolphin seems to refuse to do everything from D, it keeps saving its files onto C. It looks like I can get Dolphin to install on D. I can also get it to recognize a folder I made on D where I keep my games as the default place to look for them. But, it keeps making a folder under my documents on C where it seems to keep all of the settings because if I delete that folder it forgets where I set the default game location to. This is also where it will automatically look for/create the memory card(in one of the sub-folders). I can move the memory card to D and redesignate the location, but if I close Dolphin and open it again it reverts back to the folder on C. Any ideas? It's not critical, I just don't like cluttering C with gaming stuff.
[attachment=16888]
If you make a text file called portable.txt in the same folder that the Dolphin executable is in, Dolphin will save everything inside that folder
It's called the Global User Directory and there is a guide to change the path.
That portable.txt solution just puts the data relative to the dolphin executable (or working directory? Not so sure..). Changing the GUD might be more comfortable when changing versions.
Oh cool, I wondered if there was a way to do that, but didn't know where to look. Thanks!

UnfocusedZeus39

(03-02-2018, 02:20 AM)Neui Wrote: [ -> ]It's called the Global User Directory and there is a guide to change the path.
That portable.txt solution just puts the data relative to the dolphin executable (or working directory? Not so sure..). Changing the GUD might be more comfortable when changing versions.

Thanks! It worked like a charm! I'm not very tech savy Tongue