Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Worth upgrading from 5200+ to Phenom II X4 3.2GHz
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

adix

Hi!

Im running dolphin on Windows7 x64 bit machine. I got 4gigs ram and AMD 64bit x2 5200+ processor, normal clock is 2,7ghz but mine is running at 2,9..

Games are running slow.. Mariokart is about 50% or the real speed (works at 28-36fps)...
Ah i got 9600GT from nvidia to take care of the graphics..

Okay the bottleneck is the processor, thats for sure. I clocked the 5200+ from 2,7 to 2,9ghz but i didnt actually see any speed improvements, maybe max 5fps at some places..

Now im thinking about buying a better processor..
The best AMD is offering is Phenom II X4 955BE, AM2+/AM3, 3.2GHz, 8MB for 145€ or the 3,4ghz for 175€..
But is it really going to help? I find it hard to belive that i get full speeds ( or atleast almost full ) with 300mhz more clock speed and some L3 cache..

I could get a whole Wii console for 175€, but i hate the crappy resolution and i would have to get a modchip and all the stuff..

Do you guys think i should buy a better processor or should i go for the wii console?
Or should i wait untill AMD comes with better CPUs and then buy one..?
I haven't been using dolphin for long, 2900 something was my first build i downloaded, but i havent really seen any speed improvementssince then in mariokart so i assume theres not much to hope for either..

But with keeping in mind that wii only has about 800mhz and a weak GPU, speed improvements are still possible?

Sorry for my bad english ^^

And awesome work with the emulator btw!
Get a wii , get some games , and come back ...