Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Wii Disc keeps ejecting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

ivanpent

I downloaded Dolphin 5.0 and got all of my Wii games ready. I got my Wii mote ready. I opened Dolphin and then tried to sync the wii mote, but it said that I need to have a game running.  So, I put a game in and clicked open and waited to click on it but it didn't appear and it just ejected.
In case you're trying to run a real Wii disc directly on your PC: That won't work. You need to dump the game first so that you have it as a file.

ivanpent

(02-27-2018, 06:28 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]In case you're trying to run a real Wii disc directly on your PC: That won't work. You need to dump the game first so that you have it as a file.

I am trying to run it on a Mac, but I imagine I have to do the same thing. Do I have to download a new program to dump it?
Yes, it's the same on Mac.

Only a very small number of PC disc drives are able to dump Wii games. If you happen to have one of those, you can use Rawdump or Friidump to dump the discs. Rawdump is for Windows only, and I'm not sure if there's a macOS version of Friidump.

Either way, even if you would be using Windows, I would really recommend dumping the games using a Wii instead. It's more simple and reliable, not to mention that you don't need a specific disc drive model. First install the Homebrew Channel, then run CleanRip.
(02-27-2018, 06:28 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]In case you're trying to run a real Wii disc directly on your PC: That won't work. You need to dump the game first so that you have it as a file.

This does raise some curious questions JosJuice, is there anything that could be done coding wise to get real wii/gamecue discs to work with dolphin by just inserting them in the pc's dvd drive? If yes then what would such an undertaking involve, if no then why is it not possible?
(02-27-2018, 07:13 AM)VIKINGS Wrote: [ -> ]This does raise some curious questions JosJuice, is there anything that could be done coding wise to get real wii/gamecue discs to work with dolphin by just inserting them in the pc's dvd drive? If yes then what would such an undertaking involve, if no then why is it not possible?

No, it's effectively a hardware limitation - gamecube/wii discs have data in non-standard areas that need to be read, and the vast majority of drives can't access those locations.

It's not really an issue that can be solved in software.
(02-27-2018, 07:33 AM)JonnyH Wrote: [ -> ]No, it's effectively a hardware limitation - gamecube/wii discs have data in non-standard areas that need to be read, and the vast majority of drives can't access those locations.

This. And to expand upon it, the method that Rawdump/Friidump uses (that only is compatible with certain disc drives) is too slow for playing games in real time.
(02-27-2018, 07:33 AM)JonnyH Wrote: [ -> ]No, it's effectively a hardware limitation - gamecube/wii discs have data in non-standard areas that need to be read, and the vast majority of drives can't access those locations.

(02-27-2018, 07:54 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]This. And to expand upon it, the method that Rawdump/Friidump uses (that only is compatible with certain disc drives) is too slow for playing games in real time.

Ah, sad that, but still cool, I love learning about stuff like this.
Still, just for the fun of it, let's take it one step further. Say someone takes out the optical unit from an actual wii and manages(since I assume it has different connections?) to hook it up to his pc. THEN is there anything you guys could do on the software side to make it work? Smile
(02-27-2018, 08:00 AM)VIKINGS Wrote: [ -> ]Still, just for the fun of it, let's take it one step further. Say someone takes out the optical unit from an actual wii and manages(since I assume it has different connections?) to hook it up to his pc. THEN is there anything you guys could do on the software side to make it work? Smile

In theory, yes, it could work.
(02-27-2018, 04:41 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]In theory, yes, it could work.

Hahaha, cool! Maybe once you guys are done with everything else and dolphin is perfect you could actually add that feature, I'm pretty sure there would be at least a bunch of guys out there that would love&use it. Big Grin
Pages: 1 2