Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: MSI Nightblade MI 020EU ok?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Theofiel Boomerang

Hi there,

i'm new here and would love to use Dolphin for my gameroom. I've got a MSI Nightblade MI 020EU

Intel Core i5-4460S
2x 8GB ram
GeForce GTX 950
120 GB SSD

Any idea if this is enough for playing gamcube and wii games?

Besides that, i would love my kids to operate it without messing up my settings on my pc. I'm thinking about creating an extra login on windows for my kids. Any idea if this works? Does anyone know how i can give my kids only acces to dolphin and the gamelibrary that i would like to setup?

Thanks!

Theo
That should be sufficient for most games, yes. Probably not the most demanding ones, though, due to the CPU being at a low-ish clockspeed

Depending on how many games you have, you'll probably want to look into adding an 1 or 2 TB hard drive or something, as GC games are like 4GB per game, and Wii can be up to 11GB

As for the kids, yeah, you can make them a profile that auto-opens Dolphin or some other frontend (like steam big picture) so all they have to do is select their game and go.
(02-27-2018, 08:52 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]That should be sufficient for most games, yes. Probably not the most demanding ones, though, due to the CPU being at a low-ish clockspeed

But it does have Intel's emulation-performance-boosting-voodoo technology that they implemented in Haswell, so it should still perform well even at its base clock of 2.9GHz.

I imagine that using Vulkan and the newest Dolphin development builds would farther help the CPU situation, and possibly doing things to keep CPU temps low (new thermal paste, better CPU cooler/fan, etc) could facilitate boost clocks (3.4GHz) being utilized more often.

(02-27-2018, 08:52 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]GC games are like 4GB per game, and Wii can be up to 11GB

Uhhh, GC discs only held 1.35GB and a single-layer Wii disc is 4.7GB (there were very few dual-layer Wii games).

And that's only if you use full-sized ISOs; if you compress/trim/whatever your rips then you can save a ton of space depending on the game; Tetris Party Deluxe for example only 58MB in wbfs format while Nintendo Puzzle Collection is 137MB after DiscEX/DMToolbox compression (which conveniently enough works with Devolution for that game).
Yeah, I had my numbers mixed around, thanks. But that's also why I said up to 11GB for Wii for the few games that were dual layer
(02-27-2018, 03:46 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]But that's also why I said up to 11GB for Wii for the few games that were dual layer

I'm pretty sure dual layer discs actually have a smaller capacity compared to 2x single layer (9.4GB), not a larger capacity.

EDIT: yeah just looked it up, and it's 8.54GB for dual-layer.
That is true. Then where did I get my bad numbers from.......

Theofiel Boomerang

Ok thanks,

looks like my pc is good to go then.

This Steam big picture, is that a solution to load in my own files? I use steam for gaming but don't know big picture yet
No, Steam Big picture, or any other frontend, just gives you a nice way of selecting games with a controller. It then passes a command to Dolphin to have it load said game.
(02-27-2018, 01:36 AM)Theofiel Boomerang Wrote: [ -> ]Besides that, i would love my kids to operate it without messing up my settings on my pc. I'm thinking about creating an extra login on windows for my kids. Any idea if this works? Does anyone know how i can give my kids only acces to dolphin and the gamelibrary that i would like to setup?

If you really want to isolate the "gaming setup" from your normal login, you could even set up a separate partition and operating system (Windows or Linux) while retaining a login password for your Windows installation.

I know at least with Linux you could have the administrator password set to something only you know while still allowing one to automatically log in to the OS without the use of a password. From there you could then set your Windows partition to "Hidden" (toggling that setting requires the administrator password) which should make it impossible to even view the files and contents of your Windows partition (unless someone knows how to make a live Linux CD/USB, boots from that, and uses GParted from that to un-hide and show your Windows partition, but at point you're into the realm of intentional tampering rather than just making things "child proof").

Theofiel Boomerang

Hey there,

thanks for all your input. Managed to get it working, even with Steam big picture so looks great. Today i get my controllerhub that allows me to connect the gamecube controllers to the pc.

Couldn't manage to even create a 2nd login on my windows (emailadress was neccessary and i only have one). So for now i'll stick to let the kids game when i'm arround Smile

thanks!
Pages: 1 2