Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Super Mario Galaxy slow down when sun/lens flare is on screen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all

I have recently finished playing Super Mario Galaxy 2, which ran pretty well on my PC! The only noticeable slow down was in a couple of planets in the later part of the game where you'd have the sun in the distance, shining on screen. I thought it was odd that only that one effect would slow down the game.

I am going backwards to Galaxy 1 now, the same visual now is in the main area that you start all the levels from, and throughout the whole of the first galaxy. Whenever the sun is on screen, the game and audio stutter and go in slow motion, as soon as i move so that the sun is no longer on screen, everything runs perfectly at 60FPS.

Has anyone else experienced this?

My specs:
i5 6300HQ, GTX 960M, 8GB of RAM.

Many thanks!
It's a known issue related to how the sun effect abuses EFB copies on the GPU thread. Not much you can really do beyond lowering your IR and seeing if that helps.
Thank you. How do I lower my IR? I am using a controller to play (if that relates to using Wiimotes)
Ok so I checked the Wiki and somebody reported that you can tackle this issue by ticking Skip EFB Access from CPU. I can confirm that the slow down doesn't happen when this is ticked but this makes all the pointer based features unusable (cannot collect star bits, cannot select planets...)

So I guess it's not really an ideal solution...
IR stands for Internal Resolution

Yeah, the games need EFB, so you could map turning it on/off to a hotkey, and then toggle it on and off when you need it, but that's also kinda lame.
(02-23-2018, 10:36 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]IR stands for Internal Resolution

Yeah, the games need EFB, so you could map turning it on/off to a hotkey, and then toggle it on and off when you need it, but that's also kinda lame.

Thank you. Sad that there is no solution, especially considering how well it runs otherwise.

What is EFB by the way? Out of curiosity? And how could I go about mapping that option to a key?

thank you for your help!
They check if anything was rendered in front of the sun. This check read back a value from the final framebuffer. This operation is quite fast on the Wii, but very slow on current systems as it serialize the CPU emulation and the rendering. You might check if your GPU is forced into high power mode. Nvidia tend to downclock on low usage. And this is a low usage on average, but with an high peak performance requirement...
(02-23-2018, 09:36 PM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]They check if anything was rendered in front of the sun. This check read back a value from the final framebuffer. This operation is quite fast on the Wii, but very slow on current systems as it serialize the CPU emulation and the rendering. You might check if your GPU is forced into high power mode. Nvidia tend to downclock on low usage. And this is a low usage on average, but with an high peak performance requirement...

Thanks for your insight Degasus. I have a mobile GPU so that's probably the limit of what it can do.

Well hopefully the sun won't be showing in many levels after the first one! I'll keep playing for now Smile  In SMG2 it's only in one planet thankfully!