Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Best Motherboard for TWO GTX 1080s
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Cabrestu

Hi there!
I want to rebuild my current desktop and add another 1080 to my system. The thing is that my motherboard has 1 single PCIEx3.0 slot.
I want to buy another one with 2 slots, but I think i'm really outdated in regards to the existing offer which is still pretty big for H3 Sockets.
I need your help to choose my motherboard because I'm not really sure who is the best manufacturer for this kind of parts. I’ll leave the link for the ones I think will work well, below.
I’m living in Portugal right now so, I would like to buy it from a Portuguese retailer so that i can claim warranty if anything goes wrong.
If you have any other suggestions (like stores) or recommendations please advise.
Thanks!

My research: My motherboard selection
I don't think h97 supports SLI so you will need to find a z97 board. I also believe you'll want to find a mobo that advertises that it supports SLI.
I'd also strongly urge you to carefully consider the value to SLI today.

Even though there was a resurgence in it's popularity over the few prior years and theoretical improvements at the API level with Vulkan and DX12, a significant number of gaming titles are no longer compatible with SLI. I'm frequently annoyed to find that titles I should be able to enjoy in 4k with my pair of GTX 970's fail to support SLI, disallowing performant play. I believe much of this is related to the Unreal Engine 4 generally making SLI support difficult and more generally tight interactions between GPUs being needed for physics calculation.

In any case I'll forewarn you that the days of being able to slap multiple cards in place to see high performance may have come to an end for a while.
As mentioned above - unless you already have the *best* GPU available, and thus no choice, SLI is often a poor upgrade (for games). The vendors are dropping support for implicit multiadaptor in anything but benchmarks (as the complexity of splitting work efficiently in the driver is huge, some engine architectures make it near impossible to scale well), and game devs aren't willing to put in the work to do the same on their side with explicit multiadaptor (again, outside of benchmarks) due to the extra development costs and vanishingly small target market.

You'll probably do much better on average selling one of the 1080s and getting a 1080ti or titan (or whatever the next generation top gpu is going to be)

Cabrestu

Thank you for your reply Guys!
I'm wondering if I can use the SLI for producing video content.
What do you guys think?
(02-22-2018, 08:28 PM)Cabrestu Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for your reply Guys!
I'm wondering if I can use the SLI for producing video content.
What do you guys think?

I believe so