Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What are the best settings on Dolphin for my PC? (Fire Emblem and Xenoblade Chronicl)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Camplord

I have no clue in the settings tab of my Dolphin so might aswell ask you guys which one would offer best graphics and decent FPS.

-GPU: NVIDIA 1050 Ti
-CPU: Ryzen 1300x 3.5ghz
-RAM: 8 GB 2134mhz

Thank you for your cooperation!

Oh and Dolphin version is the latest STABLE version.
Generally, the defaults are the 'best' settings for cpu use, there's nothing you can really tweak there to make things go faster or improve quality.

I will note that the latest development versions may be a better fit - it has a number of bug fixes, and a *big* speedup on ryzen specifically. While "stable" sounds nice, it's more an arbitrary line in the sand than any guaranteed tested and bulletproof version. Dolphin's development process tends to end up with a very good 'development' version, as most issues are fixed in PR stages before it's merged into the main head.

As for the internal resolution - it kinda depends on your screen resolution and game. 3x IR fits 1080p well, and a 1050ti should be able to do that in the vast majority of games with no issues. Dolphin doesn't have a good downscaling filter if the IR is higher than your screen resolution, so often moving to one of the antialiasing options then will likely give better visual quality if you have GPU headroom available and already at native screen resolution, though that has some known issues with some games (often causing odd shadow positions and things like that). And make sure you set the antialiasing in the dolphin settings, not the global GPU control panel - as that can sometimes cause conflicts and problems.

Camplord

(02-20-2018, 04:31 AM)JonnyH Wrote: [ -> ]Generally, the defaults are the 'best' settings for cpu use, there's nothing you can really tweak there to make things go faster or improve quality.

I will note that the latest development versions may be a better fit - it has a number of bug fixes, and a *big* speedup on ryzen specifically. While "stable" sounds nice, it's more an arbitrary line in the sand than any guaranteed tested and bulletproof version. Dolphin's development process tends to end up with a very good 'development' version, as most issues are fixed in PR stages before it's merged into the main head.

As for the internal resolution - it kinda depends on your screen resolution and game. 3x IR fits 1080p well, and a 1050ti should be able to do that in the vast majority of games with no issues. Dolphin doesn't have a good downscaling filter if the IR is higher than your screen resolution, so often moving to one of the antialiasing options then will likely give better visual quality if you have GPU headroom available and already at native screen resolution, though that has some known issues with some games (often causing odd shadow positions and things like that). And make sure you set the antialiasing in the dolphin settings, not the global GPU control panel - as that can sometimes cause conflicts and problems.

Thank you for the quick reply, yes my screen res is 1080p, so should I download the latest Dolphin regardless? Also, should my backend in the basic setting be OpenGL or Direct3d 11? 
Also the emulator gives me tons of anti-aliasing options: MSAA and SSAA, does it matter which one I choose?
You can handle 2x/4x SSAA at 1080p with no issues in most games.

SSAA gives you the best quality with the least issues, but is the most intensive. Fortunately your GPU is very recent and quite fast.

Use Direct3D 11 if you want the best experience with Hybrid Ubershaders (eliminates shader compilation stutter). Otherwise OpenGL is fine.

Camplord

(02-20-2018, 04:58 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]You can handle 2x/4x SSAA at 1080p with no issues in most games.

SSAA gives you the best quality with the least issues, but is the most intensive. Fortunately your GPU is very recent and quite fast.

Use Direct3D 11 if you want the best experience with Hybrid Ubershaders (eliminates shader compilation stutter). Otherwise OpenGL is fine.

Thank you for the answer. I'll go with 2x SSAA and Direct3D 11 for now. I'm assuming I'll have no issues with FPS by going this route, right?
Probably not for most games, nope.