Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Vulkan is faster than DX11 on my OC RX480 8gb
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am using the latest Dolphin build and i have the best buy edition of the rx480 but since 2016 i've always considered DX11 as the fastest driver but i decided to try Vulkan and was shocked but how fast it is. Usually on DX11 i cannot run mario galaxy with 8xssaa on 1080p but with Vulkan i am able to run it with 8xssaa and fxaa. I can even run games like Xenoblade chronicles with 8xssaa on 1080p and i can run mario sunshine at 4k and above with 8xssaa. I'm so shocked with how fast the Vulkan driver is for me and i was wondering if anyone else may have had the same performance as i did.
Not sure why you thought DX11 would be faster as Vulkan being faster than the likes of DX11 and/or OpenGL is part of the entire reason why it even exists.

Nevertheless, I've got to wonder why you'd want to use any FXAA at all when you're already doing 8xSSAA - wouldn't the 8xSSAA pretty much completely eliminate any and all aliasing by itself, therefore FXAA would actually introduce unnecessary blurring due to its post-process nature?
Well, considering that Vulkan is just AMD's Mantle pitched to Khronos, yeah. That doesn't surprise me.

Source: Go look through AMDVLK and note all the mantle references in code.
(02-13-2018, 12:14 PM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure why you thought DX11 would be faster as Vulkan being faster than the likes of DX11 and/or OpenGL is part of the entire reason why it even exists.

Nevertheless, I've got to wonder why you'd want to use any FXAA at all when you're already doing 8xSSAA - wouldn't the 8xSSAA pretty much completely eliminate any and all aliasing by itself, therefore FXAA would actually introduce unnecessary blurring due to its post-process nature?

I wanted to see how far i can push my graphics card when it came to dolphin even though fxaa doesn't really impact performance that much. I do have a 4k tv but it's a westinghouse and my rx 480 has issues over hdmi for some unknown reason. the signal cuts in and out and it may just be a driver issue but i haven't hooked it up to my tv in a really long time. the rx 480 i have and all my friends have they usually have issues with hdmi at 4k. But i never really looked into Vulkan that much and i was waiting for it to not be considered experimental but i believe it has most of the features as Dx11 and OpenGL.
IMO we should remove experimental tag from Vulkan in UI but a lot of people still report issues with it and Stenzek isn't finished doing a lot of refactoring which would make maintaining the backend trivial.
(02-13-2018, 12:33 PM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]IMO we should remove experimental tag from Vulkan in UI but a lot of people still report issues with it and Stenzek isn't finished doing a lot of refactoring which would make maintaining the backend trivial.

Oh ok i understand. Well thank you for responding i really appreciate it. 
(02-13-2018, 12:33 PM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]IMO we should remove experimental tag from Vulkan in UI but a lot of people still report issues with it and Stenzek isn't finished doing a lot of refactoring which would make maintaining the backend trivial.

Have Nvidia's latest drivers sorted out the shader thread locking that happened on OpenGL/Vulkan with Hybrid Ubershaders? I tried them out recently and noticed no difference from Direct3D aside from slightly worse performance.
(02-14-2018, 02:28 AM)extherian Wrote: [ -> ]Have Nvidia's latest drivers sorted out the shader thread locking that happened on OpenGL/Vulkan with Hybrid Ubershaders? I tried them out recently and noticed no difference from Direct3D aside from slightly worse performance.

Not that I'm aware of, but that's not really a qualifier of whether Vulkan is experimental because we have no control over that.