Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [MKW] "Failed to read to/write from system memory"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been getting this error lately in MKW in between races randomly. Looking online I've seen that having an irregular name in Windows can cause this issue, but mine is a normal name. I've also heard that Dolphin not being run as an administrator can cause this but I have Dolphin set to run as administrator via the Properties menu.

It's worth mentioning I've patched the iso file with Wiimmfi.

Does anyone know what could be causing this issue?

md5 hash: 8ca4870ba72eb79d117af034f52d3db1
(02-13-2018, 07:14 AM)8times9 Wrote: [ -> ]I've been getting this error lately in MKW in between races randomly. Looking online I've seen that having an irregular name in Windows can cause this issue, but mine is a normal name. I've also heard that Dolphin not being run as an administrator can cause this but I have Dolphin set to run as administrator via the Properties menu.

It's worth mentioning I've patched the iso file with Wiimmfi.

Does anyone know what could be causing this issue?

md5 hash: 8ca4870ba72eb79d117af034f52d3db1

It's been a very long time but I'll leave this for anyone else: the issue was with the Google Drive app (aka Backup and Sync) having access to the Dolphin user folder. It would attempt to sync that folder while Dolphin was trying to write to it, leading to problems. Remove C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Dolphin Emulator\ from the paths for Google Drive.
Thank you for writing the solution in case someone else runs into it. I appreciate it, as these mysterious issues tend to bother me and other devs when we have no idea what is wrong. Hopefully if anyone else has it, someone will be able to link to this thread.
(02-08-2019, 12:46 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for writing the solution in case someone else runs into it.  I appreciate it, as these mysterious issues tend to bother me and other devs when we have no idea what is wrong.  Hopefully if anyone else has it, someone will be able to link to this thread.

Sure thing! I've been in the situation of searching through old forum posts after googling to troubleshoot an issue, and I know an answer like this is so helpful to find.
(02-08-2019, 12:52 PM)8times9 Wrote: [ -> ]Sure thing! I've been in the situation of searching through old forum posts after googling to troubleshoot an issue, and I know an answer like this is so helpful to find.

Hey, thanks for sharing that.  What kind of crashes were you having?

For some time now, I've been having this issue with MKW, one of the few Wii games I actually play, where sometimes dolphin will freeze into a black screen when loading a track, and I have to shut it down by force.  It never happens in the menus or in the middle of a race, but only when loading a track.  This is very random and not easily reproducible.  Sometimes I'll play a half hour without getting this issue.
I first thought it was the new feature: "Defer EFB Copies" because I use EFB2Ram for this game, and I even reported this to JMC47, but it turned out to be "fake news" on my part (sorry!).  I went on to try many different things and none helped.  My latest suspicion is that it has something to do with some BT passthrough issues I've been having.

UPDATE:
I eventually found that this was an issue with BT passthrough that was corrected by changing my BT adapter's driver from libusbK to WinUSB (also through Zadig).