Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Xenoblade FPS Drops
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just started playing Xenoblade Chronicles for the first time and have been having a blast. I am using the 60fps patch and the HD texture pack. Everything runs great except I get fps drops for a few seconds during fights and major fps drops when you encounter the mechon in colony 9. 

So far I have tried disabling the HD texture pack and changing the backend. I have been playing at 6x IR, but have tried all the way down to 2x and still get the same drops.  I disabled the 60 fps patch, but can't tell a difference since the fps never drops below 30 using the 60fps patch anyways.

My pc specs are:
i7 4790k 4.4ghz
EVGA 1080
16gb 1866mhz ram
Windows 10 64 bit

Any help would be great! Thanks!
So you still get FPS drops without the 60FPS code?
So, you have a very powerful system, but you're also emulating a non-trivial title on top of a 60 FPS hack (huge speed down) and with a texture pack (small speed down, but mostly likely cause of stuttering problems for many users)

Since you got the same slowdowns with lower IR, it's probably not a GPU issue.

Since it ran at full speed without the 60 FPS hack, that is likely the cause. Your system probably just can't handle all parts of the game with the hack.

60 FPS hacks aren't to be underestimated in how intensive they can be to use.
(02-13-2018, 07:32 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]So you still get FPS drops without the 60FPS code?

Read the post. They didn't.
(02-13-2018, 07:35 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Read the post. They didn't.

I did read the post and it didn't seem very clear.
(02-13-2018, 07:34 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]So, you have a very powerful system, but you're also emulating a non-trivial title on top of a 60 FPS hack (huge speed down) and with a texture pack (small speed down, but mostly likely cause of stuttering problems for many users)

Since you got the same slowdowns with lower IR, it's probably not a GPU issue.

Since it ran at full speed without the 60 FPS hack, that is likely the cause. Your system probably just can't handle all parts of the game with the hack.

60 FPS hacks aren't to be underestimated in how intensive they can be to use.

Thanks for the response. I should have figured that. It's not like it's game breaking anyways, I was just more curious on why it was happening. Thanks again!
I am using a considerably weaker system than OP, with a locked i5 and 1050 Ti, yet I still get full speed everywhere.

First of all, the Wiki page for Xenoblade recommends you set the CPU Clock Override to 125%. You have not mentioned anywhere whether or not you enabled this setting.

Second, you are using Hybrid Ubershaders. Even with Hybrid, there will still be occasional moments of slowdown for those occasions when shader compilation becomes necessary.

Hope that helps.
(02-13-2018, 09:02 AM)extherian Wrote: [ -> ]I am using a considerably weaker system than OP, with a locked i5 and 1050 Ti, yet I still get full speed everywhere.

First of all, the Wiki page for Xenoblade recommends you set the CPU Clock Override to 125%. You have not mentioned anywhere whether or not you enabled this setting.

Second, you are using Hybrid Ubershaders. Even with Hybrid, there will still be occasional moments of slowdown for those occasions when shader compilation becomes necessary.

Hope that helps.

I must have completely missed the cpu clock override part when I read through the wiki. I'll give it a try when I get home. Thanks for your help!