Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 15" MacBook Pro 2017
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

mvtm

Hi Guys,

I recently got a top spec 2017 15" MBP with the 3.1Ghz i7 and the 4GB AMD RX 560 card. I never bought my machine with the intention of gaming but, however I do want to try to play Zelda Windwaker GCN or Wii version with the Hypathias Texture pack and the modded Windwaker HD version.

I'm barely being able to get 30 FPS on my brand new top spec MBP.... I know that Macs don't play games.. but I'm emulating Gamecube! Something I must done wrong or my settings be bad!

I want to be able to play Windwaker smoothly with no lag. Ideally at 1440p and all the textures mod, HD version of Windwaker from an external SSD drive as the Samsung T5. I have installed Dolphin 5.0 Stable latest version and just trying to run the game on high Sierra.

I want to run it on Mac OS if possible, if not, I will try to create a Windows 10 bootcamp in my Macbook to be able to get a better performance???

Please there must be other MacBook Pro owners here!!!
Apple has terrible OpenGL drivers and they don't believe in Vulkan. You'd be much better off in Windows with DirectX 11 (very fast on AMD GPUs).

mvtm

(02-11-2018, 08:22 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Apple has terrible OpenGL drivers and they don't believe in Vulkan. You'd be much better off in Windows with DirectX 11 (very fast on AMD GPUs).

This guy has them running kind of fast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti...S3h1AMKQZ8

I have the same Mac as him, slightly better. It is required for me to create a Windows 10 bootcamp to obtain that kind of performance??? The only way???
(02-11-2018, 08:51 AM)mvtm Wrote: [ -> ]It is required for me to create a Windows 10 bootcamp to obtain that kind of performance??? The only way???

Well technically no it's not the only way as there's always Linux as an option.
Windows or Linux, that is the only way you're going to get good performance for Dolphin out of your Mac.

There is no other option.
A 2017 mbp should have zero problems with running wind waker.

Try disabling the texture pack? And I have no idea what the "modded WindWaker HD Version" does - is it a patch? Cheat codes? Something else? Perhaps that is affecting performance - I've never ran a modified WW game....

EDIT:
Any reason you're not using the latest -dev builds? 5.0 'stable' is pretty old, and a number of improvements have happened since then... For the most part, dolphin development has a stable development head (things aren't merged until they're "ready" - but mistakes occasionally happen...)
Just to be sure, you don't expect Wind Waker to get more than 30 FPS right ?
It's also possible the switchable graphics detection has gone wrong - it might be interesting to test if disabling that in the power saving options panel changes anything....

mvtm

(02-12-2018, 11:00 PM)DrHouse64 Wrote: [ -> ]Just to be sure, you don't expect Wind Waker to get more than 30 FPS right ?

Yeah of course I don't expect it to run more than 30 FPS LOL

Well guys an update...I tweaked the settings a bit more and it's running fine on OpenGL on Mac OS X, I'm using the standard version because don't know yet how to upload the textures in the Mac version of Dolphin 5. I have to read a bit more.

It does sometimes hiccup... like once very 2 minutes it drops to 23 FPS or so which I find it slow. Thats like for 2 secs and then it goes back to 30, but is running a little better than initially (the Windwaker normal)

I'm downloading Smash Brawl, do you think my computer is able to handle Brawl (on dolphin Mac OS X) or even Wii U Breath of Wild on Cemu (if I install windows for cemu) ??
)
(02-13-2018, 12:23 PM)mvtm Wrote: [ -> ]I'm downloading Smash Brawl

I highly recommend editing your post and changing the highlighted word, or else you're going to have a bad time on this forum.

(I too will edit and/or delete my reply once you edit your post)
Pages: 1 2