Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Before purchase: Any tips?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello!

I have read about a billion threads about this, but i really don't want to buy the wrong stuff for my livingroom computer, so i'm just going to ask if you lads think this will work for Gamecube emulation.

Requirements:
Super Smash Melee with as many enhancements as possible and texture pack, played at full speed.

Current computer in mind:

Chassi: Node 202
PSU: 450w sfx
GPU: GTX 1050 Ti
CPU:Intel i5 6600 3.3ghz (3.9ghz turbo) (Got from a friend for free!!)
RAM: DDR4 8GB 2400mhz
Mobo: MSI B250I
Windows 10 64-bit

I know that Dolphin uses 2 cores, but according to this: http://thegeekfix.com/best-hardware-for-...-emulator/
it says that due to some special technology it can still get about 10% more preformance from a 4 core CPU, don't ask me how that works Tongue

Most people seem to agree that a dedicated graphics card is essential for adding visual enhancements (higher res, AA or whatevs), but is a 1050 ti too weak for that? It's not really made for gaming after all...

Anyway, please feel free to ask any questions, and thanks in advance! Hugs
Actually a 1050Ti is arguably overkill, especially considering the current going prices of them is pretty whack (MSRP is ~$130!).
(02-09-2018, 08:30 AM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]Actually a 1050Ti is arguably overkill, especially considering the current going prices of them is pretty whack (MSRP is ~$130!).

Oh i see, what card on the market would you recommend, I'd rather be overkill than just on the line of acceptable after all...

Note that the Node 202 chassi can only support 145 mm high, 47mm width and 310mm length graphics cards. [EDIT: actually... i don't think that's a real issue, seems like most cards are within those limits? O_o)

Also thank you for your response!
Actually the Intel integrated graphics by itself would be on the line of "acceptable", though in that case we're only talking maybe 2x IR with no AA, and integrated graphics can be quite dependent on your choice of memory as well (fast dual-channel memory is better).

Additionally, better performance may be seen using the Vulkan renderer, though with Intel integrated graphics that may also require using Linux.
(02-09-2018, 08:56 AM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]Actually the Intel integrated graphics by itself would be on the line of "acceptable", though in that case we're only talking maybe 2x IR with no AA (better performance may be seen using the Vulkan renderer, though that may also require using Linux).

Yes, from what i have been able to gather, the integrated would definitely be able to hand the basic stuff... But i'd rather have a little "oompf" to play with for AA, textures, resolution... I'm going to play on a 65" tv and sitting fairly close, so any enhancements are welcome! Especially widescreen mods :X

From what i can manage to read, unless i buy some cheap second hand card or some strange super cheap card for 30 bucks, the 1050 ti is the only real valid choice, with semi-passive fans that are at least decently quiet.
It would also be nice to be able to watch some 4k stuff on the TV Smile

Anyway, i think my question is answered, it seems like the PC won't have any problems with the emulation at least Big Grin

Thank you =)
Wait, are you trying to get 4k out of this? If not then I would think a GTX 1050 (non-Ti) would be plenty, otherwise yes the 4GB VRAM may actually be useful for 4k + high-res textures + anti-aliasing.
(02-09-2018, 09:07 AM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]Wait, are you trying to get 4k out of this?  If not then I would think a GTX 1050 (non-Ti) would be plenty, otherwise yes the 4GB VRAM may actually be useful for 4k + high-res textures + anti-aliasing.

Well, i'm not sure it's worth it, since the monitor only supports 4k in 24hz, it's not really ideal in windows... But it could be fun to try Tongue

In Sweden, the price difference between 1050 and 1050 ti is practically non-existent for some reason xD
Oh well, looks like the system is pretty optimized as a livingroom PC!

Thank you so much for your help Big Grin
(02-09-2018, 07:27 PM)envelope91 Wrote: [ -> ]the monitor only supports 4k in 24hz

A 4k monitor that maxes out at 24hz?  What is this, a broadcast monitor? I mean, I've never heard of a flat-panel PC monitor that couldn't do 60Hz at its native resolution...

Anyway, are you sure it can't even do 30Hz at 4k?  Because if it can then that would sound like an HDMI 1.4 bandwidth limitation issue which can be worked around by using 4:2:0 chroma subsampling to reduce the bandwidth enough to run at 60Hz (though it effectively cuts the color information down to 1080p).
(02-09-2018, 07:44 PM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]A 4k monitor that maxes out at 24hz?  What is this, a broadcast monitor? I mean, I've never heard of a flat-panel PC monitor that couldn't do 60Hz at its native resolution...

Anyway, are you sure it can't even do 30Hz at 4k?  Because if it can then that would sound like an HDMI 1.4 bandwidth limitation issue which can be worked around by using 4:2:0 chroma subsampling to reduce the bandwidth enough to run at 60Hz (though it effectively cuts the color information down to 1080p).

Oh dear, i was pretty tired and wrote monitor... It's a TV xD

As far as i can tell, i can only set the Hz rate in windows to 60 hz when the TV is set at 1080p resolution.
Well, if it's a 4k TV then it's definitely can do 4k@60Hz. On some TVs, however, not all HDMI ports are compliant to the 2.0 specs, and there's also cases where you must manually enable 4k support in that specific port through TV settings, so, take a look at the user manual of your TV...
Pages: 1 2